Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago my car seem to turn over slower than usual. DIC read 12.1v, but as the engine ran, it seem to kreep up to about 12.5v. So I hit the road and about 10 miles later, I am whipping into the *zone for a new battery.

I got to where I was going with the old battery, went ahead and put the new one on. It was slow to start again, but after diving it it was back up to 13.6-13.8v where the old battery use to be.

Today, I took the car to get the oil changed and inspected and the DIC is reading 12.6, but it gets up to 13.8 while driving, and soon as I stop the DIC shows the voltage to start dropping. I don't recall this happening prior to the incident a month ago. I did have a new starter put on it about 2 months ago. Not sure that would be a cause.

Is this an alternator going bad? Is it possible that it would not be able to charge at idle and charge at higher rpm? Or is it one of those it either works or don't work parts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check the battery cable end for corrosion, positive and negative. If thats good make sure the 13mm nut on the starter is clean and tight, this is where the alternator and battery connections meet, seen more than a few loose that cause this exact same issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the battery cable end for corrosion, positive and negative. If thats good make sure the 13mm nut on the starter is clean and tight, this is where the alternator and battery connections meet, seen more than a few loose that cause this exact same issue.
You are a GENIUS! I had a new starter put on couple months back. I will have the dealer to do a once over on their work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great work Bowtiebandit! I took it back to the dealer who installed the starter and you were right! The nut was loose. They tightened it up and back to 13.9-14.0 volts!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great work Bowtiebandit! I took it back to the dealer who installed the starter and you were rigth! The nut was loose. They tightened it up and back to 13.9-14.0 volts!

:cheers: :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts