Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to take my car out Saturday afternoon for the first time in three weeks, and my alternator was dead. Luckily I had purchased a lifetime warranty one last time this happened, so it did'nt cost me anything.

Any thoughts on why the C4 alternators don't seem to last very long. I've had my present car for 4 years and this will be my third alternator.??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
You HAVE to check your grounds!!!! My buddy had the same problem with his '89 Vette. One of the grounding points had some serious corrosion. Seems to be a common problem on early C4's.

I'll see if I can find out where the bad ground was located... it's some where in the engine compartment. I'll see what I can find out for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Don't know if this will help you????
But FYI......
I use a Tuff Stuff Chrome altenator rated at 140amps.....
and have no problems.....and it cured many charging problems....
Just thought I would try to help you....maybe???? maybe not...
tony

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oldace84 said:
Don't know if this will help you????
But FYI......
I use a Tuff Stuff Chrome altenator rated at 140amps.....
and have no problems.....and it cured many charging problems....
Just thought I would try to help you....maybe???? maybe not...
tony
Thanks Tony, I already replaced the alternator, so I guess I'll see how long this one lasts. Don't really have any charging problems, alternator just dies instantly, works one day, dead the next. Maybe next time I'll try one like your using. :)

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
oldace84 said:
The Cs144 altenator has a different setup....so tell me how it works......like wiring etc....
thanks
tony
Well the 89 Alt is different from the 84 BUT.. the CS130 and the CS144 use the same connections. with the L98 Belt set-up the CS144 fits..
Even though I have an AIR pump eliminator, it will fit with stock brackets.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
oldace84 said:
You know what I think I also meant the wiring?????
What do you think????
thanks
tony
Sorry I should hasve stated better. the Wiring connections on the 89 and 84 are different, but the CS144 wiring is the SAME as the CS130

Edit: LT1s use the CS144, L98s (86 and up) use the CS130

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the normal voltage reading I should be seeing now with the new alternator? Will it drop down at idle, and if so, how far?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bob88con said:
What is the normal voltage reading I should be seeing now with the new alternator? Will it drop down at idle, and if so, how far?
I just replace mine on my L98 about 2 weeks ago and it reads around 13.8

1 - 15 of 15 Posts