Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 76 and I want the wheels to have the black in the center like the original ones. Anyone know how the black in the center was applied from the factory?

Current wheels

The look I want

I could have sworn I saw advertised somewhere what appeared to be like a decal that could be applied to the center but I cannot seem to find them if they ever existed. I considered paint but I need a really good close up pic of a factory wheel If I go that route I am not sure where to start and stop painting. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would check out the self adhesive vinyl from a local sign shop. It's easy to work with, inexpensive, and easy to remove if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check out the self adhesive vinyl from a local sign shop. It's easy to work with, inexpensive, and easy to remove if it doesn't work out.
Yeah I have a friend that can do vinyl graphics etc and I thought I might ask him to do me some if I cant get something else figured out. It would just be a PITA for him to do me say 8 (a few spares) or so. It takes some time to get it all measured out and in the program and then cut.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I had those wheels at one time. Ran both black centers and with the paint stripped. IMO, they look best with only the slots painted black and the center all polished. Makes them look like a larger diameter with the polished center.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I had those wheels at one time. Ran both black centers and with the paint stripped. IMO, they look best with only the slots painted black and the center all polished. Makes them look like a larger diameter with the polished center.

:agree: I like them the way they are Altered. They'll have the appearance of a larger diameter wheel, and the best part is they don't look like they're painted one way or the other. They look normal, clean, and crisp.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:agree: I like them the way they are Altered. They'll have the appearance of a larger diameter wheel, and the best part is they don't look like they're painted one way or the other. They look normal, clean, and crisp.
I'm thinking since I am loaded with the other tasks currently I might be leaving them as is for now. Just thought it might be the time to get them fixed up while they are off.

I am far far far from someone wanting a bigwheel look but I do like a clean and smooth look. I do think eventually I may try the black in the center I just think it is what it came with and since my car isn't modded much it leans the stock way.

I appreciate all the comments and help though. :cheers:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I'm thinking since I am loaded with the other tasks currently I might be leaving them as is for now. Just thought it might be the time to get them fixed up while they are off.

I am far far far from someone wanting a bigwheel look but I do like a clean and smooth look. I do think eventually I may try the black in the center I just think it is what it came with and since my car isn't modded much it leans the stock way.

I appreciate all the comments and help though. :cheers:
Well, you have start the mods some where. :laughing:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Vinyl would be the LAST thing I would put on my wheels. The amount of heat that is produced could affect adhesion, as well as all the road crap...one little piece of trash gets under the lip, and let the flaking begin. Just my opinion...

It's easy enough to just mask it off, scuff the crap out of it and paint it proper. You could honestly rattle can them and have it last for years. My neighbor bought a restore kit for his GTO wheels that have the graphite gray and black inlays. It included the two cans of color and a can of clear coat....all rattle can. That was about 4 years ago, and they are just now starting to show need of redo.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vinyl would be the LAST thing I would put on my wheels. The amount of heat that is produced could affect adhesion, as well as all the road crap...one little piece of trash gets under the lip, and let the flaking begin. Just my opinion...

It's easy enough to just mask it off, scuff the crap out of it and paint it proper. You could honestly rattle can them and have it last for years. My neighbor bought a restore kit for his GTO wheels that have the graphite gray and black inlays. It included the two cans of color and a can of clear coat....all rattle can. That was about 4 years ago, and they are just now starting to show need of redo.
Good point about the heat I hadn't really thought about that with the vinyl. And I was just going to do a enamel of some sort since I cannot find a kit with them already cut from vinyl. If it lasted 4 years out of a can that should be good enough. But my other projects have to come first.

@blckslvr79 It has some mods just not many. The most noticeable are TT column and a rear bumper cover from a newer 80 ish car that I really don't like but I haven't got around to changing it yet either.

@6880 Mike what finish was the color done in gloss? That is what appears to be on the pics I have seen.

·
Registered
296 Posts
maybe the vinyl guy can cut you a mask , then spray it.

i saw a guy with a bridgeport mill open the vent holes about 3/8 of an inch and then a row of smaller openings just below that, they were fabulous. anyone want to play with a mill?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I wish somebody would make these rims in an 18" for our cars. I'd go back to them in a heart beat.
I think it would completely change their presence. Not sure in a good way. But I agree on the style. I've had so many people ask me when I'm putting new wheels on...and I just laugh. Because I LOVE the look. Mine have the insides of the slots painted red... I plan on matching the color to my new paint scheme when the time comes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
dont ask me who, but someone does make them in 18". i have seen them and i don't think they look that good.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I wish somebody would make these rims in an 18" for our cars. I'd go back to them in a heart beat.
:agree: I wish I could find these in 18", cause I love the style.:thumbsup: But now I can't even get the BFG's I'm running in the 265-50R15 size anymore, so gotta upgrade to 18s.

I've often wondered if you could have an 18" set custom milled from billet, but I'm sure price would be astronomical.:thud:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
:agree: I wish I could find these in 18", cause I love the style.:thumbsup: But now I can't even get the BFG's I'm running in the 265-50R15 size anymore, so gotta upgrade to 18s.

I've often wondered if you could have an 18" set custom milled from billet, but I'm sure price would be astronomical.:thud:
Anything can be made for the right price. :agree: I only got rid of mine because of limited tire choices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts