Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on cutting aluminum plate. I'm putting a C4 suspension on my spare '69 frame, and having to make custom rear bearing holders. (I'm replacing the single piston sliding calipers with four pot Wilwoods, and the stock C4 bearing holder shape won't allow easy installation of non-factory calipers.) These plates are 3/4 inch plate aluminum. I have one of the two semi-finished, but it was a major PITA. I used a jig saw, a drill, and a hacksaw, along with a lot of carbide bit grinding. I don't have the room or money for a milling machine, so what's a better way to cut this thick stuff? This picture is the semi-finshed shape (bearing holder and caliper bracket) of the first one, but it starts out as a square chunk (with an additional plate welded on top).
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looking for some advice on cutting aluminum plate. I'm putting a C4 suspension on my spare '69 frame, and having to make custom rear bearing holders. (I'm replacing the single piston sliding calipers with four pot Wilwoods, and the stock C4 bearing holder shape won't allow easy installation of non-factory calipers.) These plates are 3/4 inch plate aluminum. I have one of the two semi-finished, but it was a major PITA. I used a jig saw, a drill, and a hacksaw, along with a lot of carbide bit grinding. I don't have the room or money for a milling machine, so what's a better way to cut this thick stuff? This picture is the semi-finshed shape (bearing holder and caliper bracket) of the first one, but it starts out as a square chunk (with an additional plate welded on top).
Thanks,
Mike
Mike, We use band saws with basically a 5 or 8 tooth/inch blade for cutting aluminum plate at work and believe it or not, a table saw with a good sharp carbide blade. Use beeswax stick for lubrication. If we are cutting more than 1 piece, we have plate waterjet cut.
Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts