1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm no expert on the use of this material, but have used it. I was compelled to buy a pack at my local flea market after a demo, and paid $25. About a week later I was in my local Harbor Freight checking out some welding supplies and got talking with a HF employee. When I asked about the aluminum brazing rod they had, he told me the guy at the Flea Market bought his there when it was on sale for $12. I bought a pack from HF and it seemed to work the same. I am no pro and was just experimenting on a small project. My experience was that temp was critical and best results were obtained when you heated the repair area sufficently to melt the brazing rod. This is what the directions call for. I was filling a gap in a 1/8 inch aluminum strap and only had an oxy-acetelene torch available. It didn't take much to melt my thin project, but it was brazed back together. I might have had less problem controlling heat if I had a propane torch, but just think I needed more practice with the material. From my experience the key is getting the repair material hot enough so the rod will melt on contact. When this happens, it will fill a gap easily, but you don't want to heat that area again. If you do the material will fall out and you start over. I wasted alot of rod experimenting with different scenarios. With a little practice it is definately worth a try and might give you surprising results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts