Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Christmas I received some Moog suspension parts for my 71 I am attempting to put back together. I wanted to remind everyone to make sure you pull out and check your parts when they come in. I was given tie rods for Christmas and it appears Moog put the wrong part in some of the boxes. Take a look at the picture below. The tie rods for a c3 are Moog ES323L or R based on the thread direction. My boxes for the ES323L has some other tie rod in it.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
This happens all too often

As in Life

You have to double check everything,

Bon

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just got my final shipment of Moog tie-rod ends and haven't checked the actual part inside the box.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well one out of the two replacements just showed up today and it is the same as the previous ones. I think someone at Moog was not paying attention when they packaged boxes one day. I am hoping the one that shows up tomorrow is ok since it is coming from a different warehouse.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Excellent advice!

Sometimes when the boxes start coming I put off looking through them completely. Yes I always open them but I don't always check every part right away. Will do that from now on.;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
my rule of thumb, buy local when possible, check parts at the store before paying or leaving the store, deal with only the best and most trusted mail order parts suppliers such as the ones that sponser this site( sucking up here) it is always better to touch and see the parts rather then saving a buck, and having to deal with the hassel of returning mail order parts, been there to many time , hate and tee shirts to prove it my opinion,

·
Registered
267 Posts
I started working on my tie rod ends today. I opened the boxes and one of the right side tie rod ends does not match. The boxes had identical numbers but the parts are different. One of them feels heavier and says "Moog" on the dust cap. The lighter one has a much smaller dust cap. I will be returning the smaller one. Hopefully I can get a matching right side from Advance. Has anyone had this happen? Is the lighter unit an import Moog or is it even a Moog?

The unit on the right is the lighter one that does not say Moog on the dust cap.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Moog will put "Moog Problem Solver" on the the side where the zerk a.k.a. grease fitting goes. I know they do this on their tie rods but not sure on ball joints ect.. When I got my front end components over four years ago way before Advance started carrying Moog I got the TRW brand which is owned by Federal Mogul which also owns Moog and in the boxes came Moog instead of TRW. So the moral of the story is yes they can be boxed wrong as both yours and Sigfortys have, but your other one that is wrong is Moog, just a different vehicle application. Take it back and have them order a new one, it should be an even swap:thumbsup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Must be an off day at the plant. I am waiting on shipment 3 to see if I can get the correct parts. The ones I had in my box after looking around seem like they could be for a C4.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got a refund from amazon also. I just got my replacement in from Advance auto and it's correct. I had a $10 off code so it was $25.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts