Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my roof flew again for the 2 time first to i was angry and forget about the roof the second time i was in a big hurry. am i the only one?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I forgot to latch the back one once. The girl that was in the car with me hit it with her hand by accident and that's when I realized it wasn't latched. I've never forgotten the front ones.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I am paranoid about it every time I put one on I check the latches about 20 times...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe its time for me to have a fixed roof . hehehehehehehe time for a z ... next year

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i've forgotton twice. but i hear the top squeak before im going to fast.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Nope never forgot. The rear one is easy to release by accident. I had a girl ask me to get on it once and when I did she started clawing for things to hold on to and released the rear latch. I didn't hear it over the screaming but I did see it in my rear view mirror and relatched it.

My question is, if you don't latch the fronts the visors don't go up flush to the roof and if you don't latch the rear it is visible in your rear view mirror. How do you forget to latch them all??

:huh:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I had a girl ask me to get on it once and when I did she started clawing for things to hold on to and released the rear latch. I didn't hear it over the screaming but I did see it in my rear view mirror and relatched it.
We have to hang out. That's absolutely hilarious. :laughing:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope never forgot. The rear one is easy to release by accident. I had a girl ask me to get on it once and when I did she started clawing for things to hold on to and released the rear latch. I didn't hear it over the screaming but I did see it in my rear view mirror and relatched it.

My question is, if you don't latch the fronts the visors don't go up flush to the roof and if you don't latch the rear it is visible in your rear view mirror. How do you forget to latch them all??

:huh:
when you are upset and in a rush . you forget thing .. i guess.... i just fixed the roof couple month ago .. ...it can wait.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am paranoid about it every time I put one on I check the latches about 20 times...
:agree: Same here-but I am that way because I once sent a t-top flying on my old 92 Camaro RS. It's realllly embarrassing to have to pick up the pieces of a broken t-top off the street while everyone watches, knowing they are most likely thinking -- "you dum$h!t!"

:smack

At least it didn't hit anyone else or their car.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I did it once with my painted top on my 93...and had a bunch of college buddies who happened to be following me as I got on the highway.

Lets just say, I'll never forget it again. :thud:

·
Registered
247 Posts
my roof flew again for the 2 time first to i was angry and forget about the roof the second time i was in a big hurry. am i the only one?
This has happened to many people with both the C5 & C6.
FWIW here's what I do to guarentee I never join the, "Flying top club".

When I park the car requiring I put the panel back in?
I'll automatically flip both visors down, before exiting the car.

After the top's been replaced, driving it without latching is impossible because those visors in the down position is a reminder telling me the latches haven't been latched.

Works like a charm, everytime. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Great Tip:thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its like taking a crap and wiping your a$$ you dont do the first part without doing the second part. :spanked:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Was your roof fixable or did you get a new one?
I have been waiting over 100 days for a new roof for my 02 coupe

·
Registered
117 Posts
I totally screwed up too. The worst part is that I read this very thread before. I neglected to latch any of the latches and lost my top in the I-75 speedway North of Atlanta. I saw my poor top die a horrible death under the wheels of several tractor & trailers and assorted other big vehicles :(

I was sick about it. There was practically nothing left of the top but a few pieces no bigger than a letter size piece of paper. The truth is that it's amazingly easy to forget to latch them if you put the top on and don't get back in the car right away... I had stopped for coffee and I put the top back on because it began to rain. I went inside Starbucks, got my coffee, drank it and went back to the car. Forgot all about the latches.... I feel like a total idiot, and worse yet, I cannot even drive my car until the new top shows up.

Fortunately, I found through Corvette forums several good folks who had tops for sale. I got lucky and found a practically new roof in the right color and all. Now all I have to do is wait until it gets here from WA (it's a long ways...). Well, I'm many hundreds of dollars poorer and I hope wiser.... I certainly hope I don't forget that again !!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm usually opposed to adding non essential electronics to a car. But, having lost my roof, I think I would pay Chevrolet the fee to add a sensor that detects when the top is in place but not latched to protect me from my own stupidity.:smack similar to the ones for the doors and hatch. Fortunately my roof didn't go through anybody's windshield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts