Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay..so I'll break this all down.

I have a 10w3 sub and a 1000w kenwood amp. I put them both in roughly 9 months ago. They have worked flawlessly up until lately. The weather started heating up and my amp would shut off..I just assumed, bad amp and it was over heating. So I just put in the JL amp out of my Camaro, and same result. Music plays for a bit, then shuts off. It's almost intermittent though. The JL amp just turns on/off whenever it wants. My + and - are both hooked directly to the battery. Good fuses.

Anyone ever had a break in their remote wire that caused this problem? Not sure where else to look. I know that the JL amp is good though, as I just got done using it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Toss all of the stereo crap out in the street and go purchase a new cam, headers, intake and exhaust...get it dyno tuned and you will never miss the stereo....if you have already performed above mods, just toss the stereo. Sorry, no real help here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toss all of the stereo crap out in the street and go purchase a new cam, headers, intake and exhaust...get it dyno tuned and you will never miss the stereo....if you have already performed above mods, just toss the stereo. Sorry, no real help here.
To each their own. I'm asking for advice, not criticism. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Okay..so I'll break this all down.

I have a 10w3 sub and a 1000w kenwood amp. I put them both in roughly 9 months ago. They have worked flawlessly up until lately. The weather started heating up and my amp would shut off..I just assumed, bad amp and it was over heating. So I just put in the JL amp out of my Camaro, and same result. Music plays for a bit, then shuts off. It's almost intermittent though. The JL amp just turns on/off whenever it wants. My + and - are both hooked directly to the battery. Good fuses.

Anyone ever had a break in their remote wire that caused this problem? Not sure where else to look. I know that the JL amp is good though, as I just got done using it.
Do you get any clipping or radio hum? thinking potential broken wire sometimes found at the jacks/connectors on the speakers especially on the subs?

Amp only running sub?

Does the amp feel extra hot? is it at mid to full power output-- AKA loud? could be internal thermal fuses

Does it come right back on after you turn radio off/on?

does it occur in all input sources? radio, IPOD, CD etc?

verified the ground to battery?

Does it seem to happen on bumps, corners?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I had this happen to me before. My amp had a fan in it, and it was not working so when it heated up it would shut off. Take the cover off, see if you have a fan in there, and if so make sure it is coming on. Good luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it happen an any volume?:thumbsup:
It does. In fact, half the time my radio is turned so low that it might as well be off. Talking over the exhaust is hard enough. lol

Do you get any clipping or radio hum? thinking potential broken wire sometimes found at the jacks/connectors on the speakers especially on the subs?

Amp only running sub?

Does the amp feel extra hot? is it at mid to full power output-- AKA loud? could be internal thermal fuses

Does it come right back on after you turn radio off/on?

does it occur in all input sources? radio, IPOD, CD etc?

verified the ground to battery?

Does it seem to happen on bumps, corners?
Clipping: no
Amp only running sub: yes
amp hot: no - full power: not hardly
comes right back on: no
occur in all input sources: yes
ground: direct wire to battery
happen on bumps/corners: no

It pretty much shuts off when the inside of the car warms up..but I don't understand that, as I've used both amps in my Camaro and neither of them shut off in it.

I had this happen to me before. My amp had a fan in it, and it was not working so when it heated up it would shut off. Take the cover off, see if you have a fan in there, and if so make sure it is coming on. Good luck
I can hear the fan kick on in both amps, actually. Sometimes the fan annoys me so I turn off my music and unplug power to the amp itself.

I'm kind of at wits end. I need to just stick a stock radio back in it and use the system it came with. I don't drive it much anyways.

·
Registered
964 Posts
if your runniing over 500 w you should run a compacitor as well..... every time the bass hits i puts a huge drain on the batt....even if you cant tell it does...also internaly to the amp when you get those drains it reaks havoc on the amp it may be tripping the circuit protection internaly. Also heat is major even though there is a fan if there is no air flow to the amp it will still over heat . Does it cut out when the bass hits turn the bass down about 25 percent and see if it stops

·
Registered
21 Posts
what is your battery voltage when the amp kicks off?

when it does kick off is it losing all of the power or is just in protection mode?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You need to do some more testing.

Turn everything on with rca jacks and sub disconnected from the amp and see if it still turns off.

If you still suspect the remote wire, bypass it for testing purposes. Use a shorter wire and go directly to your power source, remember not to leave this connected since it will stay on. (if you have a tester use that instead)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Where do you have the amp located? What kind of heard unit?

I had mine in my back compartment with the cover closed. The amp would turn off as soon as it got hot in the car, just like yours. I would have to turn the Alpine off for several minutes before the amp would power back up. The weird thing with mine is that I had two different amps running highs and subs and they would both cut out at the same time. I still can't figure out why both amps shut off. This could be similar to your issue. Maybe the head unit senses an overload at the amp and kills power to the remote wire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if you got your problem taken care of yet or not...

First thing you need to do is find out what is going on when the "amp shuts off". Is the amp shutting off (loosing power) or is the amp going into protection? Most amps this is easy to tell by the power light. If the power light is going out then the amp is loosing power. If the light is changing colors when it quits playing (most amps it will turn red) then the amp is going into protect.

If the amp is shutting off then you need to test the power wire and make sure you still have 12 volts on it. If yes then test the turn on wire and make sure you have 12 volts on it as well.

If both of those test as they should and the amp is actually shutting off then it has to be the ground. If you have a dvm you can test the ground as well to make sure you have a good ground.

If the amp is going into protect (which is what Im betting on) then you have a few other things to check out. We know you are having the same problem with two diff. amps and one is a known good amp. First thing I would check is the sub. If you can take a sub out of the other car and hook it up that would probably be the easiest way. The sub could be on its way out but not completely shot and causing the amp to go into protect.

The other common in the chain is the radio/rca's. You didnt say what radio you were using aftermarket or factory. Im going to assume its an aftermarket. If you swap subs and still have the same problem I would then look at the rca's. If you have another amp in the car running your highs you could swap the rear channel rca's off the 4 channel amp to the sub amp. If you only have the sub amp you can first try swapping the rca's on the back of the radio to another channel. This one can be a little tricky just because it could be the rca's them selves and not the channel so if the problem still happens you might have to get a cheap pair of rca's to do a final test.

Hope this helps...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts