Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 1/4" hard tube to 6an female adapter, any ideas where I can get one of those?
Summit, Nope
Jegs, Nope

same thing as Erls 165056ERL for earls, but for 1/4 instead of 5/16"

Thanks

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
What is it for? If it's for tranny lines (which are usually 5/16) you can use those pretty red/blue alu oens w/ the ferrule from earls. However they won't seal at higher pressures. For that you must use the aeroquip zinc plated steel ones. i have some 5/16 to -6 an hard line adapters and a - to 06 adapter to get to the dash 6 size, maybe they have something similar for dash 4. If aeroquip doesn't have it it doesn't exist, download their master catalog and start digging through all the hydraulic fittings :rolling:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
6' I have an Erols distributor down the street where I get my stuff....

lemme know specifics of that you want to do, think you need, and I sure they can get it....they supplied the DPFI parts necessary for my install...

hose and all....

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is for the hi pressure line on the PS control valve, my plan WAS to put on an -6 to hard line adapter, I ordered 5/16" thinking that was right and then found out it was 1/4" tube.
looks like this

I cut the stock lines and put on adaptors to get to AN, no problem on the others but this one I can't find

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
that will leak, those things don't seal up @ high pressure. You can do a tranny cooler line with those but that's about it.

Do you want an lines? If so, you need flare nuts, sleeves and a 37 deg. flare tool.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
6': I have the flaring tool and a few leftovers from doing my fuel line...let me know if you need some flared lines .... shouldn't take more than two days to mail it down to you... ....

they sell 1/4" NPT and 45 degrees flared fittings in the plumbing dept at Homedepot or Lowes..... :laughing:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what I am doing

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that will leak, those things don't seal up @ high pressure. You can do a tranny cooler line with those but that's about it.

Do you want an lines? If so, you need flare nuts, sleeves and a 37 deg. flare tool.
yea my plan is to go all AN. This is the last piece that is giving me a hard time

You got a better solution? got a link to what I need?

MYBAD, same ?? got a link? I am having a hard time visualizing what I need to do

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Initially I thought I was trying to be funny with the HD remark but the 45 degree flare fitting from the hardware store might not be the worst option.... 37 or 45 degrees... if it leaks at that pressure you better find out why instead of blaming the flare angle... this is not a 3500psi system.... ... hey, even my stock replacement junk stuff doesn't leak ...:laughing: ..oh well. one of the few locations where it does not leak....:D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
MYBAD, same ?? got a link? I am having a hard time visualizing what I need to do
their websites really suck.... HD and Lowes...

This guy usually comes with the nut.... Lowes is usually a little better organized than HD.... look and see what they have.... once you're there and see what they sell it's suddenly as clear as glass.....

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so thats a 1/4" tube to flair female, Hmm...wonder if it will fit my AN male hose?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
since that's not seamless tubing you need a double flaring tool for 37 degree flares and 1/4 tube nuts and sleeves. Same for the other line, 3/8 flare nuts and sleeves and the flare tool. Those fittings will leak guaranteed, they will hold maybe 15psi but that's it. Take that stuff to a hydraulic shop, they can flare the ends for nuts and sleeves. If you want ti DIY, be prepared to spend mucho dinero on a quality flaring tool.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, well thats one of the things I don't understand...Single Flair, Double Flair, Inverted Flair...

What maroon thought it was cool to make this stuff so complicated? You got a 3/8 line on one end of the hose and some 1/4" bastardized thing on the other end no one has parts for?

dammit

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More Research

OK, so I need these two parts in 1/4" and the flareing tool?

I still ain't figured out the single/double thing

But I go to o pck up my exhaust parts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Power Steering Hose Is Different

Although you've probably seen it dozens of times, regular stainless braided AN hose should not be used for power-steering hose applications. Pressure spikes in the power-steering system can exceed the burst strength of regular AN hose. That is why companies like Aeroquip and Earl's have developed specific power-steering hose, complete with its own unique steel fittings, for use in these systems. Power-steering hose is usually made of an elastomer tube, polyester inner braid with wire-braid reinforcement, and a polyester-braid cover. Its maximum operating pressure is rated at 2,250 psi. While ideally suited for steering and hydraulic systems, this type of hose can be used in other applications including fuel, oil, and compressed air. Most Winston Cup pit crews use this type of hose with their "over-the-wall" air tools because of its flexibility and extreme pressure-spike capabilities in case it gets run over.

·
Registered
910 Posts

Go here, not far from you.

http://www.industrialhose.com/pompano.htm

They will set you up with the proper hose for your -an fittings compatable with ps fluid or crimp hose with new ends for you. Hydraulic and -an are all 37°.

See what they have in their tube crimp fittings so you won't end up with a 12" hose assembly with 9 inches of -an fittings and 3 inches of hose. :D
They might have a much cleaner look for you.

The ps system is relativly low pressure and the burst rating of thier hose is at least 8000 psi.

They also have the tube nuts and sleeves although 1/4" is not a common size.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it worked out guys, went to Hydraulic Supply in Pompano on sample just east of the turnpike, 1/4" sleeve, nut and a 4 to 6 adapter, good to go.

Thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 22 Posts