Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Reassembly

This is the part I dread the most. Installing window trim, emblems, bumpers, door handles, mirrors, all come with the risk of damaging the new paint. Good adhesion really helps, that's why surfaces in underlying areas are prepared for paint just like the outer surfaces.

Seems ridiculous to try and tell you how to put pieces back on your car, so I'll just add a few tips.

Tape the edges of chrome bumpers and the install areas, if the tape does touch it usually won't chip the paint. Two people makes bumper installing much easier.

Emblem holes will have shrunk with the application of paint, resize the holes with a correctly sized drill bit before installing emblems or trim clips.

Clean, repaint and polish trim as needed before installing.

Window trim will usually go on pretty well, the problem comes when it has to be removed because the piece installed wasn't put on in the correct order. Lay out the parts, test fit and understand how they assemble. Compare that to the shape of the window gutter. It's usually apparent in which order they must be installed. For example: On this car the top of the rear window trim was one piece, bottom front corner on one side to bottom front corner on the other. The lower trim had to be inserted into each side and slid forward inside the upper trim to fit into the lower gutter.

Clean all bulbs and any exposed sockets before installing them. Special attention to make sure ground clips are not covered with over spray.

Re-threading capture nuts and bolts takes a little time but it allows you to screw bolts in with your fingers. This reduces the chance tools will slip and chip freshly painted surfaces.

New gaskets and seals on door handles, locks and mirrors add a professional touch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Conclusion

I hope this series of posts has passed along some information you can use. In the extreme, given you the push you needed to give it a try. It's a big step, requiring a commitment in tools and materials. At the same time it isn't rocket science either.

At the very least having read this blog you have a respectful understanding of the amount of work involved in painting your Corvette. If you just don't have the desire to try it yourself, at least you shouldn't be shocked or surprised at the usual 5 figure sum of the paint shop quote.

My intent was to post a video of the finished car sitting outside in sunshine. The weather prevented that and the customer picked up the car before weather improved. I had taken a few stills earlier and will post all. If the opportunity presents itself later on I'll grab a video and post.

Attachments

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,479 Posts
Thanks Bud. This whole write up is awesom:thumbsup:e

Reactions: 7TRoadster

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,479 Posts
Awesome. I bet he is one happy camper

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
very detailed work and outstanding result. I wish you were closer to me to do my 69!

121 - 132 of 132 Posts