Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the car was a bit rough. No codes downloaded.

At around around 45-50 if I applied light throttle the car would shudder, almost as if I was in too high a gear. at about 45 twice I had it feel like the driveshaft was gonna come thru the floor or the transmission was gonna fall out the bottom.

Checking the manual the road test for the TCC solenoid is pretty much just this. I'm just wondering if someone who has had it before felt the same thing before I drain my tranny to change it.

I wanna add that the last mile to the house I did nail it a few times, there is no high speed vibrations and the trans kicked down as advertised, this only happens at the point where the TCC would disengage/engage

·
Registered
410 Posts
well, ive read around 1k posts about auto transmissions in corvettes, and ive never came across that kind of post before. sounds like youre gonna need a new tranny, if not just the torque converter...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to do the road test with the laptop still to check the TCC solenoid activating, but if the solenoid does not release the clutch when its supposed it its like being in too high a gear in a manual and not downshifting, so it may just be the solenoid or valve which are both bolted to the valve body of the tranny ($135 in parts) far less than a whole tranny.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have felt this in other cars that I have worked on but not a corvette yet. Changing the fluid cures this problem almost every time. I had a problem with the trans in a 1988 C4 that I used to have "It didn't want to up shift until it warmed up" I posted the problem in the C4 forum and I was told to have the trans rebuilt even though I said that it had been rebuilt recently. The problem turned out to be a broken roll pin in the governor cost of the repair was less than a dollar.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shift kit

Sk makes A shift kit that will address the issue of shutter .This is an issue do to the fact that GM pulses the clutch so that it will make more fuel milage (they let it slip just a bit) .By installing the kit it will help your shifts and keep the clutch on instead of pulsing it this will make it run cooler also .The kit is called SK4l60e shift kit and will cost about $45. takes about 2 hours to put in yourself it has very good instructions .

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the car for a spin this afternoon with the laptop hooked up to monitor TCC solenoid actuation and the shifting, everything ran fine....signing it off as old fluid, now to just change it. Show me jacking up a Corvette and draining the tranny tomorrow.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So fluids drained, it looks good. I did a test with a papertowel I was shown once and it has little clutch material in it for 100K, so Im thinking someone previously replaced the fluid. I removed the plugs, they are still at .060 and double platinums. Replacing them for the fun of it since I have them out already anyway.

so whats wrong with the damn car. I took it aruond the block yesterday without an issue. I'm getting tired of owning such a temperamental car

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upon closer review and verifying the part number of the ones removed. They are double platinums....there is no platinum on the tip side anymore. Id say thats bad. the gap on two rechecked at almost .070.

I had to get the transmission filter and pan gasket shipped from another store, so I get them in the morning. Then refill and off to see how it runs.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
quuite often a high load, low rpm engine miss will be mistaken for trans issues. i would deff start with checking plugs, resisyance in the plug wires, and resistance in the coils before i start looking at the trans

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Road test failed. initially I drove it about 2 miles and it was fine, actually smooth. Took it out tonight with the wife and went across town. Two different times I felt what I thought was a miss, then when we left to come home I hit the highway. It ran smooth for the first few miles, then rough as anything. about 2/3 of the way home the check engine light started flashing. At one point I could see smoke coming out out the back

I downloaded a 0300, so I have a obvious Misfire. Its 1:30 AM, I'll hook up the laptop and see what happened.

I didnt replace the wires, its possible one isnt connected or they are just bad and the initial source of the problem from the beginning. Now to get try and get some sleep and start over in the morning.

I think the car knows I want to sell it and its fighting me all the way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts