Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean how much cooler can you be

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I guess you have the same "Corvette-a-day" calendar I do. that's pic is sitting on my desk staring back at me today. :laughing:

it is a super cool car!:thumbsup:

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sits WAY high up like a truck, but we can let it slide in this case because that is friggin sick cool!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Great choice of color too!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Neat picture! I think it is interesting to see that the car is level front to back. I have read many times that some rake front to back is good for high speed stability.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd never let my car get dirty like that.:lookinup:
You're kidding, right? Oh God, please tell me he's kidding and a "racer" as he claims..... :bang ;)

Neat picture! I think it is interesting to see that the car is level front to back. I have read many times that some rake front to back is good for high speed stability.
This would of course depend upon the aerodynamic characteristics of the car in question. A "question of balance" as it were.
Bonneville is Mecca. Does anyone know anymore about this car and what it's accomplished?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
this car's history

found this little tidbit about it here:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/41099_bonneville_salt_flats_racing/

The sleek silhouette of Ed and Linda Van Scoy’s 1985 Corvette stands in sharp contrast to Steve Rattie’s "Boss Brick." Aerodynamicists played at least as large a role in designing the final shape of Chevy’s fourth-generation Corvette as did its designers, with the end result being fantastic stability at high speed. This was of course a necessity given the fact that certain C4s, most notably those wearing the ZR1 package or Callaway’s twin-turbo option, were 170-plus mph cars right off the showroom floor.

The Van Scoys’ Corvette was a showpiece customized with Greenwood ground effects when they bought it in 1992. So as to conform to Grand Touring class rules, which permit only the addition of small, stabilizing roof rails and a hood scoop, the entire Greenwood package had to be removed.

Bonneville’s GT class rules dictate that certain components such as door panels remain in place, but otherwise allow considerable leeway in configuring the interior. The Van Scoys opted to replace their Corvette’s stock electronic instrumentation with Stewart Warner analog gauges. The factory radio remains however, and keeps Ed entertained while waiting in line for his turn to run. A Summit fiberglass racing seat replaced the driver-side factory seat and an oil tank took the place of the passenger seat. In keeping with established safety requirements, a full rollcage, five-point harness, and Flame Out Halon fire suppression system also occupy the interior.

Motive power comes from a small-block Chevy driving through a Corvette ZF six-speed and stock 4.11:1 geared differential. Mike LeFevers at Mitech Racing Engines in Placentia, California built the engine. All components were carefully selected to meet the rules, stay with the budget, and break the existing record. Configured for class C/GT, which allows a displacement from 306 to 372 cubes, it uses a 4.10-inch bore and 3.50-inch stroke to yield 370 cubic inches. Eagle rods, Arias pistons, Isky cam, Furia valves, COLA crank, Dart heads, a Holley Dominator, and MSD ignition combine for 625 hp @ 8200 rpm.

The custom, 15-inch steel wheels measure eight inches wide at the rear and four inches in front, and wear Goodyear tires. Talladega NASCAR slicks put the power to the salt at the rear and 4.5-inch wide Front Runners help keep it on the straight and narrow.

After blowing an engine in 1996’s event, Ed drove his Corvette to a new C/GT record in 1997 with a two-way average speed of 203.226 mph. In the years since ‘97 he upped his own mark several times, hitting 212.694 mph n 2000.

Like all Bonneville racers, the husband-and-wife Van Scoy team vows to return to the Salt once again. They will bring the same car but plan to swap their 372 stroker for a big block in order to run for the record in a different class.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Mmmm.......... salt, it's not just for margaritas.... it's for packing into every crack and crevice of my undercarriage.

I'm still finding that ****. :laughing:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks ghostchild for digging up that info. It goes back a long way though. I wonder if they ever put the big block in and what's happened since?
I may never run at Bonneville but I've got to get out there one of these days. A closer and more realistic goal for the short term is getting my car prepared for Maxton's one mile speed runs over towards the coast in NC. That's only a few hours from me. Mainly I just need to make my four point bar into a six point so I'll be legal to exceed 150 MPH. Hopefully they allow swing-out bars forward since my car's a daily driver. I need to send for their rule book.
Bonneville and things like it are the ultimate in hot rodding, IMO. It's a world of it's own and nothing else really compares. :cool:

·
Banned
68 Posts
Thanks ghostchild for digging up that info. It goes back a long way though. I wonder if they ever put the big block in and what's happened since?
I may never run at Bonneville but I've got to get out there one of these days. A closer and more realistic goal for the short term is getting my car prepared for Maxton's one mile speed runs over towards the coast in NC. That's only a few hours from me. Mainly I just need to make my four point bar into a six point so I'll be legal to exceed 150 MPH. Hopefully they allow swing-out bars forward since my car's a daily driver. I need to send for their rule book.
Bonneville and things like it are the ultimate in hot rodding, IMO. It's a world of it's own and nothing else really compares. :cool:

Man this guy is here to? Your just clogging up every corvetteforum I go to. Im the third "whiney cry baby" you have to listen to. This forum is a bit bigger than the other one so you need to mind your manners.:nuts:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Man this guy is here to? Your just clogging up every corvetteforum I go to. Im the third "whiney cry baby" you have to listen to. This forum is a bit bigger than the other one so you need to mind your manners.:nuts:
And who's not minding their manners? It would seem like you at this point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts