Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-23/entrepreneurs-target-rising-college-costs.html

And another taking their place.....

I just had a post in the Lounge about paper reading becomming extinct....

Then asshats like these school textbook companies gotta go play games like inflate book prices thru the roof....(or in the case of Texas.....re-write history and publish fascist books..lol)
and just run themselves out of business.

No Market Correction here.
High speed express down the toilet.:down:

even though 98 buck for a digital book is nuts anyway....:crazy:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Another fine example of a clueless post. There is a reason textbooks are so expensive. They take a lot of work to write and publish. But most of all, they sell in small numbers compared to a book that sells to the general public. The reason a novel can sell for $29 is that it can sell millions. Textbooks sell in the tens of thousands. The only way to make the economic model work is to sell it for $100-$200 (I'm talking college level here, which has nothing to do with the Texas book board). No fun if you are paying (which I am right now for my son in college), but the alternative is for no one to take the time to pass their knowledge on to students.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Another fine example of a clueless post. There is a reason textbooks are so expensive. They take a lot of work to write and publish. But most of all, they sell in small numbers compared to a book that sells to the general public. The reason a novel can sell for $29 is that it can sell millions. Textbooks sell in the tens of thousands. The only way to make the economic model work is to sell it for $100-$200 (I'm talking college level here, which has nothing to do with the Texas book board). No fun if you are paying (which I am right now for my son in college), but the alternative is for no one to take the time to pass their knowledge on to students.
Not to mention that most all of those college texts can be resold back to the next semester's student for 50%-75% of retail value or even back to the college book store for half of what you originally paid, so the actual cost is nearly 50%-75% of retail list cost. ;) The only way your stuck with the books is if they are being discontinued and in this event, they are usually retailed cheap that semester.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Not to mention that most all of those college texts can be resold back to the next semester's student for 50%-75% of retail value or even back to the college book store for half of what you originally paid, so the actual cost is nearly 50%-75% of retail list cost. ;) The only way your stuck with the books is if they are being discontinued and in this event, they are usually retailed cheap that semester.
Exactly right. My son god his biology degree last year and then decided to go to nursing school. He started in August and had to buy about $800 worth of books. For the first time, he could pay about $50 more and get the hard copy of each book plus an eBook version that works on Kindle or IPad. We got him an iPad, and all of his textbooks can be carried everywhere. They have search capability and the ability to highlight for study purposes. This is the wave of the future and it is a good thing.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly right. My son god his biology degree last year and then decided to go to nursing school. He started in August and had to buy about $800 worth of books. For the first time, he could pay about $50 more and get the hard copy of each book plus an eBook version that works on Kindle or IPad. We got him an iPad, and all of his textbooks can be carried everywhere. They have search capability and the ability to highlight for study purposes. This is the wave of the future and it is a good thing.
wow....

When I get reincarnated........I want you for my dad so you can pay my way till i'm 30.:laughing:

How old is your son?
28?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
wow....

When I get reincarnated........I want you for my dad so you can pay my way till i'm 30.:laughing:

How old is your son?
28?
Yep, 28. He's married now, so his wife (school teacher) gets to pay most of his way. He works at low paying jobs to get them by. He has had an an uncanny series of serious illnesses in the last few years that really set him back -- one of the things that made him decide to go into nursing. But as long as he is trying, I will lend support. :cheers:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should I post up pics of my vette vin number, title, and employment paystub, with a copy of todays newspaper date?:rolling:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, 28. He's married now, so his wife (school teacher) gets to pay most of his way. He has had an an uncanny series of serious illnesses in the last few years that really set him back -- one of the things that made him decide to go into nursing. But as long as he is trying, I will lend support. :cheers:
I home he makes it in HC.

I still expect this HC bubble to crash hard and bad.

Was he considering A biotech job in Pharm in the past?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Should I post up pics of my vette vin number, title, and employment paystub, with a copy of todays newspaper date?:rolling:
Yep, while you're at it, include your SSN and mother's maiden name. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I home he makes it in HC.

I still expect this HC bubble to crash hard and bad.

Was he considering A biotech job in Pharm in the past?
He was originally considering dental school (go figure). But health put him about 5 years behind. By the time he got everything working well, he was married and didn't feel he had the time for that. My wife is an RN, and his last big hospitalization, he had a bunch of really great male RN's who talked up the career. He is really enjoying the program.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts