Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Moving to the interior while waiting on upholstery to get done. My first attempt at dashboard repair. The top was a mess, but the rest wasn't too bad. I used Polyvance materials and followed their instructions so didn't repeat them here. Worked a lot better than I thought it would. The color is 82 Dk Blue. A couple of the photos make it look a lot more blue than it is. At first glance it looks like charcoal, but there is a hint of blue. I bought a brand new 82 with this color interior and always liked it. Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Furniture Table Automotive exterior Bumper Table Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Auto part Audio equipment Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Auto part Vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Auto part

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Slow down dude, i never damned dewitts. This was just a heads up for Zim. That same radiator is in my c3 and it seems to work ok after i cleaned up threads and flushed everthing. It didn't fix my overheating issue. I work hard for my money (just as you and others do I'm sure) and when i spend 640 for a radiator hell yeah I do have high expectations. I could've chosen to get a much lower priced champion or others for a much lower cost. I'm not going to go into the other issues i had dealing straight through them. Not my thread.

Back to you Zim. Again great looking work.

Ryan
Here's a follow up re the DeWitt radiator discussion above. I went with the DeWitt natural finish for manual transmission. It fit perfectly, no issues whatsoever. It is a great product, I recommend it hands down.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Quick update, still moving forward. Did a pre-install of the Dakota Digital HDX gauges to check fit and operation. Fit was perfect and so was operation. Finished up the Dynamat tonight, carpet is next.

Vehicle Car Steering wheel Auto part Center console

Vehicle Car Hood Auto part Cockpit

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part Trunk

Vehicle Car Auto part Hood Technology

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Looking for a little help here regarding interior colors. Back in 1982 I bought a brand new 82 Corvette with an exterior of Bright Blue (code 31) and interior of Dark Blue with cloth seats (code 22C). I definitely recall that the dashboard and other plastic parts almost looked like charcoal until out in the bright sun, only then could you detect a very slight dark blue tint to the color. I have duplicated the color on my current project but when I ordered a sample of the carpet it looks very blue. For the life of me I cannot remember what the carpet and cloth seats looked like in my 82 and of course I didn't take a single picture of the interior! Maybe the carpet color is correct but it sure seems too blue. The 31 Bright Blue exterior and 22C interior was not very popular and not many 82's were made with that color.

So it's kind of a long shot, but if anyone happens to have a picture of an 82 with the 22C interior I would be grateful to see it. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am totally overwhelmed with your attention to detail. I am going to do a few of your same mods. I am going to pick up a 1980 corvette tomorrow

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I am totally overwhelmed with your attention to detail. I am going to do a few of your same mods. I am going to pick up a 1980 corvette tomorrow
Thanks Greg, good luck with your 80! Keep us posted. I'd be glad to share anything I've learned on this project!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Greg, good luck with your 80! Keep us posted. I'd be glad to share anything I've learned on this project!
I will. I have a T56 left over after we gutted a 96 trans am. Stock Eliminator project. I have access to a water jet. If I had the pattern off hydraulic clutch firewall peice

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Interior almost finished! Man, this has been a long time coming, and none too soon! I picked up my custom seats, door panels and steering wheel yesterday! Getting dangerously close to the first drive. I started this project 4 years ago today with no idea of the detours I would have to take due to the demon cancer. But that's behind me, at least for now, so it's pedal to the metal! The gauges are Dakota Digital HDX, audio system is the Long Beach from Retrosound, the rear speaker/subwoofer enclosure is by yours truly. The first picture is 4 years ago is the "before" just before disassembly. The next one is the "after" picture. The rest are the interior.

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

Speedometer Tachometer Vehicle Gauge Trip computer

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle door Personal luxury car

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I will. I have a T56 left over after we gutted a 96 trans am. Stock Eliminator project. I have access to a water jet. If I had the pattern off hydraulic clutch firewall peice
Hi Greg, regarding the water jet you mentioned, were you referring to the firewall reinforcing plate pics that I posted? Sorry for the delay in responding, guess it just didn't register in my tired old brain! If that's what you were referring to I still have the pattern I made and would be more than happy to share, along with a couple of things I'd do a little different if I had it to do over.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,960 Posts
Your work has been awesome

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking really good John ... I think 4 years for the amount of work you have done and the quality of your build is awesome, and that's without battling Cancer.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Interior just about done! Ready to install my custom seats that I picked up a couple weeks ago. They are C6 seats, had them recovered with new foam, can't wait to get them back in! Should receive the shifter knob and shift pattern plate later this week.

The stereo system is a Retrosound Long Beach. It resembles the OEM radio and does not require any modification of the bezel. It is also amazingly small which is a blessing when it came to fitting all the wire and stuff under there! I used Retrosound speakers in the front, in the back (6 x 9's) and a Retrosound sub woofer. Originally, I was going to mount the 6 x 9's in the stock location but if you have ever messed with those you know what a PITA is it. Plus, since there really isn't an enclosure, they don't really sound that good. So, I made an enclosure for the rear that contains the 6 x 9's and the sub. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how it sounds! Much better than I anticipated. I wasn't looking for the "boom car" sound but I do like a nicely balanced system and this one was quite a surprise.

Since the knob for the Dakota Digital dimmer resembled a cigarette lighter, it seemed like a natural fit in the cigarette lighter space. I 3d printed a mount and it does look just like a cigarette lighter! In the space where the ashtray used to be, I made a bezel and mounted a push button switch for the power antenna. Since I rarely listen to broadcast radio I didn't want the antenna buzzing up and down everytime I started and stopped the car. There was room in the same bezel to mount a dual USB 3.0 connector. The leads from the connector plug into the two USB inputs on the Retrosound.

·
Registered
16 Posts
looks amazing! very similar to my build on my 78. Can I ask what seats you went with and who did them? Also, a ball park price would be nice. I have C5 seats in mine and I hate them.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Eddiejb I used C6 seats in my 81. I have a friend that owns a Camaro/Firebird/Corvette salvage yard and I swapped the original C3 seats for the C6 seats. I cut out the deep drivers side floor pan and replaced it with a shallow pan, also fabbed a new crossmember all to make more room for the exhaust system. I had to ditch the C6 motor bases in order to get some badly needed headroom. I'm not sure if the C6 seat with motor base would fit in even the original deep pan. I made some seat mounts that would adapt the C6 seats (without the motor base) to the manual fore/aft adjusters from the OEM passenger side seat. If you go to my build thread post# 156 you can see how I made them. I had a really hard time finding another 81 passenger side adjuster tracks but finally got a set. This mounts the seat about as low as you can get but they are still pretty tall.

They are definitely more comfortable than the original C3 seats but they are still pretty high. They will just barely fit. The jury's still out on them but I'm almost finished with the project so I'll soon know if I really like them. To be honest, I'm on the fence when it comes to C6 seats in a C3. Time will tell, but I'm not sure it was worth all the work. Changing up the foam in the C3 seats to make them more comfortable might be a better way to go. Tomorrow I'll try to get a few decent pics of them installed.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I believe I have the exhaust fitted and ready for permanent mount. Still need to fab the downpipes for the LS3. All stainless, 2.5" pipe. This is the Pypes system for the 74 Corvette. The exhaust is the reason I cut out the deep seat pan on the drivers side and replaced it with a shallow pan (reproduction). Several times I questioned myself about going to the trouble of replacing the pan but I'm glad I did, made routing the exhaust a lot easier.

That bar on the crossmember is temporary, holds the pipes in place until I get the downpipes made.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Would like to see/hear what accelerator pedal others have used in a Gen 4 (i.e. LS3) swap into a late model C3. I used the pedal assembly that came with the GM Performance Parts crate motor kit. I finally got it to fit pretty well but it took a lot of mods including bending the mounting bracket. I was afraid the pedal would be too high and sure enough it is. It's usable but it's about the same height as the brake pedal and is too easy to hit when applying brakes. I can't easily change the height of the pedal itself because it is pretty thick, made of plastic. Also, there isn't a lot of room in that area to start with. This is a manual transmission car so the brake pedal can't realistically be moved.

If I had it to do over I wouldn't have used this assembly. It's a solid install, looks good, it's just too high. I'm pretty sure that all accelerators used with Gen 4 engines are electrically the same.

Before I start with yet another round of mods, does anyone have any recommendations for an accelerator pedal that works well for this swap?

BTW my build is officially complete, finally! Only a few nit-noid things to take care of. I'll post some pics soon.

This is the accelerator pedal assembly I used. I had to put a 90° bend in the bracket. The red arrow points to the bend. You can see how thick the pedal itself is.

I don't have a picture that clearly shows how the accelerator pedal is about the same height as the brake pedal, but these pics give an idea of how the pedal is mounted.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
I used the pedal that came with the Mast Motorsports crate engine. I had to fabricate a bracket to bolt the pedal to, it took two tries to get it right. It seems there isn't an easy answer, obviously the DBW pedals aren't designed with the C3 in mind. Car is looking awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
I never did like that pedal, We should be using this gas pedal. ACDelco 19417903 ACDelco Accelerator Pedal Sensors | Summit Racing

It is not so bulky and will fit easier in most applications. And it looks cleaner, too. And there is an actual hinge on the pedal.

Also your pedal looks to be pretty close to the tunnel at the bottom. There is no insulation, heavy juke, or carpet in your car right now so this gap should be big to account for their thickness so the pedal doesn't drag on the carpet when everything is together.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
I never did like that pedal, We should be using this gas pedal. ACDelco 19417903 ACDelco Accelerator Pedal Sensors | Summit Racing

It is not so bulky and will fit easier in most applications. And it looks cleaner, too. And there is an actual hinge on the pedal.

Also your pedal looks to be pretty close to the tunnel at the bottom. There is no insulation, heavy juke, or carpet in your car right now so this gap should be big to account for their thickness so the pedal doesn't drag on the carpet when everything is together.
It was too close once I got the jute and carpet in. I had to cut off about 3/4" for clearance, plus bend the metal part of the pedal to get clearance from the tunnel. This is not a good pedal to use. Learned the hard way.

201 - 220 of 235 Posts