Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
It was too close once I got the jute and carpet in. I had to cut off about 3/4" for clearance, plus bend the metal part of the pedal to get clearance from the tunnel. This is not a good pedal to use. Learned the hard way. Thanks for the tip on the 19417903 pedal, think I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
It was too close once I got the jute and carpet in. I had to cut off about 3/4" for clearance, plus bend the metal part of the pedal to get clearance from the tunnel. This is not a good pedal to use. Learned the hard way.
It sounds like you should have made a better bracket to mount the pedal in a more preferred location.

The pedal he is using is the part # used in C5 Corvette and the pedal I linked is the part # for C6. It is hard to see how one would fit in an application and another wouldn't. His pedal is already in a bad location. Look up at his pictures.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
It sounds like you should have made a better bracket to mount the pedal in a more preferred location.

The pedal he is using is the part # used in C5 Corvette and the pedal I linked is the part # for C6. It is hard to see how one would fit in an application and another wouldn't. His pedal is already in a bad location. Look up at his pictures.
Autowiz, guess I didn't make it clear, the pedal I used is the one that is included in the GM Performance Parts LS3 kit P/N 19354328. The accelerator in the kit is P/N 10379038. If you check post# 170 in my build thread you can see the mods I made to allow the accelerator to fit. I've never tried any other pedal in it, C5, C6 or anything else. I will freely admit that I should have sought a different pedal right from the start, but this was one of those things that I thought a few mods would make it work but it snowballed from there. I am confident that I could eventually make it the way I want it, but if a different pedal will make it easier then I'm all for it. The pedal in the GMPP kit is clearly made for a flat (or near flat) firewall like one might find in the tri-5's or a pickup. And yes, I could have made a different bracket, but the biggest problem is the thickness of the plastic part of the pedal.

So, that's the short story. The intention of my post was to share my experience with the kit accelerator with others so that they could decide if they wanted to try and use one like it.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Autowiz, guess I didn't make it clear, the pedal I used is the one that is included in the GM Performance Parts LS3 kit P/N 19354328. The accelerator in the kit is P/N 10379038. If you check post# 170 in my build thread you can see the mods I made to allow the accelerator to fit. I've never tried any other pedal in it, C5, C6 or anything else. I will freely admit that I should have sought a different pedal right from the start, but this was one of those things that I thought a few mods would make it work but it snowballed from there. I am confident that I could eventually make it the way I want it, but if a different pedal will make it easier then I'm all for it. The pedal in the GMPP kit is clearly made for a flat (or near flat) firewall like one might find in the tri-5's or a pickup. And yes, I could have made a different bracket, but the biggest problem is the thickness of the plastic part of the pedal.

So, that's the short story. The intention of my post was to share my experience with the kit accelerator with others so that they could decide if they wanted to try and use one like it.
Left something out. The pedal clearances, measured to the finished carpeting, are exactly what is specified in the GMPP kit instructions. It does not hit anything, even before I cut a bit off of the bottom. What I do not like is the height of the accelerator with respect to the brake pedal. I can't fix that due to the thickness of the pedal so I'd have to fabricate another one. That's why I plan to try a different pedal.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Well, I'm going to call my build finished, finally! I have a handful of details still to take care of. The ride height is a bit high for my taste, for instance. But it's been around the block a time or two. In the process of getting insurance and activating the tag so I'll be on the road very soon!

I started this build around Feb of 2017. Little did I know what the future was going to bring, but both the car and myself are survivors. I would like to thank all of the members here for the tips I got and for sharing their knowledge. I hope I was able to contribute a few useful things too. Some of the things I posted turned out to be changed in the end. I tried to keep up with it but I'm sure I got off track somewhere along the way. I'm thinking I'll consolidate the entire build in a single document and make any corrections necessary.

I'm not going anywhere, plan to stay active here. Heck, I'm already thinking of the next project!

Here's a handful of pics along with a couple of before/after.

Cheers to all, and thanks again!

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,893 Posts
It was nice before but it is gorgeous now. Two thumbs up (y)(y)

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Registered
110 Posts
Zim, let us know how long it takes the grin to subside - great job and one of the best "build" posts I've followed

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Man that came out right. Very nice build. How does it feel riding around in the C3 with the C5 seats?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Man that came out right. Very nice build. How does it feel riding around in the C3 with the C5 seats?
The seats worked out well. They actually came from a C6. I always had a little trouble with the C3 seats, my butt is about 2" wider than the recessed seat area! The seat is a touch higher, even after I ditched the motor bases and built some mounts to get the seat as close to the floor as possible. But it's not a problem at all, I'm 5'-8" tall and don't have any issues with the seats. A taller person might want to measure it out carefully before swapping.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
The seats worked out well. They actually came from a C6. I always had a little trouble with the C3 seats, my butt is about 2" wider than the recessed seat area! The seat is a touch higher, even after I ditched the motor bases and built some mounts to get the seat as close to the floor as possible. But it's not a problem at all, I'm 5'-8" tall and don't have any issues with the seats. A taller person might want to measure it out carefully before swapping.
I found some pics of the mods I made to the C6 seats. My goal was to get them as low to the floor as possible since the seat is thicker than the C3 seat. Plus, the seat back is a lot higher than the C3 seat. First, I removed the deep drivers side floor pan and replaced it with an aftermarket shallow pan. This allowed the exhaust system to be more simple. Then I scrounged up a set of manual seat tracks for an 80 - 82 passenger seat. Those turned out to be hard to find, I guess because junkyard Corvettes sit out in the rain and that's the lowest part of the car. Then I made some adapters to fit the C6 seats to the original bolt holes.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Left something out. The pedal clearances, measured to the finished carpeting, are exactly what is specified in the GMPP kit instructions. It does not hit anything, even before I cut a bit off of the bottom. What I do not like is the height of the accelerator with respect to the brake pedal. I can't fix that due to the thickness of the pedal so I'd have to fabricate another one. That's why I plan to try a different pedal.
Got the accelerator P/N 19417903 installed, thanks to Autowiz for turning me on to that part number. It is a MUCH better fit. It's not as close to the tunnel as the photo makes it look. There is over a finger width everywhere underneath the pedal, even with the floor mats installed. At least 2 finger widths between the pedal and the tunnel. Way better than the accelerator that came with the GMPP LS3 installation kit.

221 - 231 of 231 Posts