Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am working on the '86 again, and my antenna is all bent up and doesn't move anymore. I got the motor unmounted, but now my question is how to disconnect the cables going into the unit. I dont want to cut them, but i need to replace the antenna. What do i do?

Medic

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I remember correctly you can get to the connections from the inside by removing the trim. Then fold back the carpet and you should be almost home. I installed one in mine last summer and it wasnt a problem, just dont install the antenna backwards cause it will look funny when raised!:smack

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the whole assembly out now, but I am not sure what to do now. I could just simply buy a new antenna, or I could buy a whole new unit. The antenna is much cheaper, but the new unit would be solving the problem for a long time. How hard is it to install a new antenna?

Medic

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's pretty easy, if I recall. You have to pull apart the housing and remove all the broken bits of antenna ribbon. Then put in the new ribbon, just wrap it around the gear. I think I put lithium grease inside my gear to keep it running smooth. The motors almost never break on these things, it's always the antenna ribbon, which is much cheaper to replace. BTW, getting that stupid rubber thing back into the grommit is a PITA. My arm practically fell off trying to get it back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts