Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's 85 has a problem with the antenna. It will not go down, but the motor continually runs and makes noise. The car is undriveable with the problem. He can't figure out what is wrong and what needs fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
TreCool626 said:
My dad's 85 has a problem with the antenna. It will not go down, but the motor continually runs and makes noise. The car is undriveable with the problem. He can't figure out what is wrong and what needs fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pull the fuse.

Sounds like the gears are stripped out. The only reason the antenna should want to go down is if the radio is off.

Leave the radio on, and he should be able to drive it until he can get the antenna replaced. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried leaving the radio on but for whatever the reason the motor continues to run. I don't know where the fuse is so if you could help me locate that to make the car driveable it would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I believe it is the same fuse for the radio and antenna. In aftermarket radios the antenna is powered by a blue wire when the radio is turned on.

1. Pull the radio fuse, see if that works...

2. Pull out the radio and look for a blue wire, disconnect and then insert fuse and see if it stops...

Hope that helps...

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
TreCool626 said:
I tried leaving the radio on but for whatever the reason the motor continues to run. I don't know where the fuse is so if you could help me locate that to make the car driveable it would be appreciated. Thanks!
What year vette?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vette is an '85. I had a sony receiver installed when I was home for Christmas. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the antenna trying to go down when the radio it still on.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
TreCool626 said:
The vette is an '85. I had a sony receiver installed when I was home for Christmas. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the antenna trying to go down when the radio it still on.
Your gears are big-time stripped in the power antenna hardware. I'd pop off your fuse panel and pull the fuse for the antenna, it should be labeled.

Then, make a call to Ecklers or Mid America for a replacement antenna.

Maybe ditch the whole power-antenna idea and consider one of those "shorty" antenna's that the Z06 guys are using?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's an idea. Thanks for the advice.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
moved to C4 since its an 85 vette : ):cheers:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the help on the antenna. It is now fixed and the vette is back on the road. Now maybe dad will let me drive it. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts