Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
80 vette will no shut off when car is shut off,like to buy a dieseling soleniod and try,do anyone have a pic so i can see what it looks like,with one allready on the car would be great,where would u buy one,how do u install it

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
80 vette will no shut off when car is shut off,like to buy a dieseling soleniod and try,do anyone have a pic so i can see what it looks like,with one allready on the car would be great,where would u buy one,how do u install it

It sounds like your throttle is sticking open when the ignition is switched off, allowing air into the system, and hot carbon is igniting remaining fuel, which in turn keeps the engine running long enough to suck in more fuel and more air, and it's a cycle called dieseling.

The simple solution is to make sure the throttle is closing all the way. Inspect it shut off both after it's warmed up, and while it's still cool. See what might be keeping the throttle open when the ignition is off.

You can probably fix your problem without adding something.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
I agree that you should be able to solve the dieseling issue without adding anything extra. What's your idle set at? What about timing? I've found with my '69 that it will diesel if the timing is too retarded or if I try to shut her down when idling over 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The anti dieseling solenoid pushes the throttle open enough to keep the engine at idle when the ignition is on. When the key is off the solenoid push rod retracts below the carb idle set point. Many years ago, the carb idle was set to the solenoid idle, making the solenoid redundant. I don't experience dieseling. The solenoid itself attaches to the left forward carb stud and is powered by the ignition (tan on my C3). I can send you pictures if you wish. PM me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts