Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a neat product I came across that I was wondering if anyone has ever used on their corvette. An Anti-theft battery terminal. It looks like a regular terminal you put on the negative post of the battery with a knob on top. You just turn this knob a 1/2 turn or take it right out and it prevents your car from being started. There is one problem I see with this though. When you cut the negative power, would that not mess up your radio presets, your clock, and anything else digital such as the trip odometer, fuel economy meter, etc? If there is some simple way around these problems, I think its a novel idea. Anything to keep my car away from some punk 12 year old. Where I am, that is the average car-theif age. 12 or 13. Covered by the young offenders act so the law can't touch them. One kid was caught after speeding and weaving through traffic and finally got into an accident. He was 9 years old. 12th offence! On average in Regina, I believe it is 9 cars a day are stolen. Glad I don't live in the city.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
yep all presets will be lost :(

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Novel idea. If I lived in an area with that many thefts, I would definately be using something. :)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,520 Posts
Bob88con said:
Novel idea. If I lived in an area with that many thefts, I would definately be using something. :)
Like maybe sleeping in your car with a 12 gauge?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Great ideal and yup you'll lose all your settings.

Not as simple but you can just pull the fuse.

My brother wired in a kill switch that was located inside the car that just disabled the starter. It's was in a spot that the passenger will never notice him hitting it.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to check and see if the ones at my local auto parts store have the bypass circuitry on them. That would be handy, cuz i don't really want to reset things all the time.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the battery terminal and the wire and fuse setup and that's it? Where does this jumper wire run from? The battery to where exactly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mid America has the battery disconnect w/ bypass circuitry.

Prevent Memory Loss
I am getting ready to awap out my reg. battery for the Optima red top but dont want to reset any of the settings in the ECM or the radio cause I dont know the lock code and I know I can just take it to the dealer and they can reset the sterio but do you know what all settings will be lost from the ECM and I just bought a plug for the cig. lighter that has a 9 volt batt on the other end and you are suppost to plug it into the cig lighter and swap out the battery and not loose any settings but I bought it a AUTOZONE and I am a little leary about that place have you or anyone else have any experience with this sort of bypass tool Thanks I need to swap this Batt soon old batt is seeping from around top edges and I bought the car from Miami.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts