Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking to get some basic information on ownership of the 1st Gen Mustangs (fastbacks).

I understand the unibody construction is the biggest issue to thoroughly comb through. Are there any other specific things to look out for or consider upgrading (like the manual steering/brakes). Any other unique characteristics?

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
I'm helping a buddy restore one... the strut towers are a huge rust problem. If you buy a 6 cyl. car and want to do a V-8 swap you really need to get a full 5 lug suspension for the car. All 6 bangers came with 4 lug setups and are really kinda weak. Oh yea, the other thing...it's a Ford.:laughing:

Check out this site, tons of good infohttp://www.stangnet.com/
Member coolblue65 is a Mustang onwer and a member on Stangnet as well. Pm him.:thumbsup:

One more thing. The hatchbacks double the price over the coupes on purchase price in most any condidtion.

Love them early Mustangs though.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The gas tank is an issue. It is seamed like a pinto and rusts on top.

The Front end will detach in an accident unless you strengthen.

Make sure you get the top-loader not the T-10.

Rust is an issue in the Fastback rear window but fixable.

:cheers:

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

The safety type info is definitely important, I'm all for making those types of upgrades to improve the older set ups. I've also found lots of modern suspension kits for them too.

All helps figuring out what we'll pick up next. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
My Husband knows tons about the Mustangs now thanks to our 68 Eleanor. I can give you his number if you PM me.;)

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Why would you ask about Mustangs here, why not go somewhere like rustyshitboxmustangs.com? :huh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts