Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have 1994 LT-1 vette with 95,000 miles, auto trans, the car is all original, my first problem is when it gets hot and the gauge almost reaches the danger area, at a stop with foot on the brake it surges and tries to take off and runs rough, the car runs great when it does not get hot, the cooling fans are working and the coolant is new and the thermostst is new, my next problem is after about ten minutes the service LTPWS light comes on, i was told this has somthing to do with tire pressure, the tires are new and the pressure checks ok, thanks for any help. val,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try a couple of bottles of WaterWetter. You can get it from Auto Zone, etc. It has done wonders for my cooling system. The instructions on the bottle says to use one bottle per system however their website recommends 2 bottles in Corvettes. Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check the radiator shroud for debris, Also if you pop the hood and look from the passenger side you should be able to see from the side the area between the radiator, i notice alot of crap back there alot of times. I usually get a coat hanger and a high pressure hose (the car wash works great) and blast it.

Also make sure there is no air in the coolant system. There should be a little flat-tip screw on next to the themostat housing, unscrew that (don't take it all the way out) and leave the cap open and do a cold start and let the car warm up to 180+ and put the cap back on. Watch the screw and tighten it back up when you see a steady stream coming out (you might want to put something under it so it doesn't splash on your opti-spark. Oh and check the seal on the cap.

The surging might be from all the amps your pulling with both fans blasting and the brake lights. Plus the computer likes to retard timing if it starts getting *TOO* hot.

As far as the LTPWS, I don't have that option on mine can't help ya

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok i have 1994 LT-1 vette with 95,000 miles, auto trans, the car is all original, my first problem is when it gets hot and the gauge almost reaches the danger area, at a stop with foot on the brake it surges and tries to take off and runs rough, the car runs great when it does not get hot, the cooling fans are working and the coolant is new and the thermostst is new, my next problem is after about ten minutes the service LTPWS light comes on, i was told this has somthing to do with tire pressure, the tires are new and the pressure checks ok, thanks for any help. val,
If it was a low tire it would indicate "low tire" if memory serves me. Service LTPWS usually indicates a bad wheel sensor.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
New thermostat throws up a flag here since you mention the car surges and runs poorly when it's hot. Question is, did you have ANY antifreeze get away and run down to the Optispark? And I mean any because what you've described sounds like a Opti issue. Also, if you didn't burp the coolant system after the thermostat change, it would overheat in less than 15 minutes, not just run hot.

Here is what I suggest, test your Optispark by simply doing this:

1. After the car is totally cooled down, start it up.
2. While running and in park, A/C on, floor the gas QUICKLY, hold for 1-2 seconds.
3. Watch the tach, if the revs bog/cut out and then stumble back to life, the Optispark is going bad.
4. If there is no bog and the revs snap to life, your surging may be throttle body related, could use a good cleaning, check position sensor as well.
5. C4's radiators need a good cleaning every year, get up in there with a hose and take your time. High pressure air works well to, I wouldn't get up in there and poke around with anything though, thats trouble.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
coolant

Have you tried flushing the cooling system? If you know someone who has a laser type heat detector gun, check the coolant temperature at both the bottom hose and the upper hose.Should be about 15 to 20 degrees difference.If you cant find anything else you could get the rad flow tested and cleaned.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
belfiglioval,

I can tell you my LTPWS light comes & goes. :WTF

It turned out to be the battery cable was loose. I only noticed it when it wouldn't start after jury duty:down: So I moved the ground cable & sure enough it was loose. Grabbed a wrench , put a little muscle on it. :cheers:

It worked for me.:partyon:

WAYNES WORLD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts