Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any convertible owners service their own tops?
I'm planning on buying a replacement top to install this fall.
I dont have a manual, and am curious how time cunsuming this may be, and what problems may arise.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had a proffessional install my new top....Apparently it is a hard job to do it right.Good luck and let us know how it turns out...:cheers:

·
The Punisher
7,092 Posts
My dad had his '66 vert soft top redone by Twins in Southgate on Dix-Toledo Rd for $1200. That was repainting the frame and all. Don't know what area in Michigan you're in, but if you're close you might want to give them a try. They came highly recommended by all the body shops in the S/E MI area and did an awesome job on the '66.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just north of Romeo.
I've heard of Tracy Corvette in Macomb Co. but will try to do the top as a winter project.
Looks like it might be a pita though.
I hate having shops do work for me.
I just had my grand am get a new long block and the GM dealership spilled power steering fluid on my headlight lenses and etched them, and left wire harnesses unfastened, and I had to take the car back and biya.
If ya want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself seems to apply everywhere.:bang

·
Registered
44 Posts
DIY replacement Top

I'm doing mine now. Finished taking the old top off. Now aligning the new top to put it on.
Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I'm doing mine now. Finished taking the old top off. Now aligning the new top to put it on.
Stay tuned.
I've got the dreaded rear window fallout and stitching coming undone on mine. I'm standing by for your update as well. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any convertible owners service their own tops?
I'm planning on buying a replacement top to install this fall.
I dont have a manual, and am curious how time cunsuming this may be, and what problems may arise.
Its not that difficult to do. Plan on a full day or weekend to do it.

Its glued on around the back below the window and on the front.

Take your time. Patience is the key. Remove your old top. CLEAN the framework to perfection. No glue residue can be left behind.

Sometimes start with the front. Use weathersripe adhieasve to glue the front on. You can move it around with the w/s adheisive. After the front is glued, you can close down the front and latch it while you work the back. Center back of top on back frame. Use w/s and glue the back down. Strech it so it goes alway to the sides by the windows.

Oh yea, there is rods you will need to remove and replace. They are held in the frame work with small screws. Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Convertible top replacement

I'm planning on as much time as it takes to get it right. Corvette fever has an article on the topic. Their advice is to do the rear bow first, but putting the front on and latching it down sounds tempting. I'll have to think about that.

I plan on cleaning out the old glue and weatherstrip, but not to perfection. I think 'good enough' will be fine. After all, most of the glued area is hidden.
I painted a lot of the aluminum pieces. Nothing was damaged beyond repair, but the paint had flaked off the bow on both sides behind the door, and the front bow had a retainer that was very rusty. Cleaned and primed it and repainted it black.
Getting screws out was a chore, ended up having to drill one out. Liquid Wrench was a big help. This is one of the few times when I wished that GM had used Torx more extensively.
I hope to be finished this weekend, but I'm not in a rush.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
New top is on- Looks great

I read the Corvette Fever article about 5 times, and it was extremely helpful. Big takeaways:
1. keep track oF every screw. I used the bottom of a shoebox and drilled holes in it and screwed the screws in and labeled them as I went along.
2. Take lots of pictures as you take off the old top.
3. Save the old top until the job is finished. I often examined the old top to see how it had been trimmed and fastened to the frame.
Take the advice of Corvette Fever: Start by fastening the top to the B Pillar. After that do the rear bow. Use high quality Adhesive. I got mine from M&T, also known as convertibletopguys.com.
I'll try to upload some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
More Top Pictures

When I took these pictures, I had not yet installed the weatherstripping, and I had loosened the back part of the top to let the stretching process take its time.
If there's any interest I'll take some with the weatherstrip on.

Net-Net: If you're careful you can do this job.
The resolution on this picture is pretty bad. I had it reduced to meet the 1 meg limit, and it got down to 36K!!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts