Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did about a ten foot, hard burn out in a neighbor's driveway using an instant

release and I could smell the clutch disc: not good.

C5/6 cars are notorious for junk clutches (trannies and differentials too).

Does anyone out there make a clutch for a daily driver that will last like the old C4 clutches did? All input appreciated - - and no double disc units for daily driving please.

Old minds need to know . . . :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I did about a ten foot, hard burn out in a neighbor's driveway using an instant

release and I could smell the clutch disc: not good.

C5/6 cars are notorious for junk clutches (trannies and differentials too).

Does anyone out there make a clutch for a daily driver that will last like the old C4 clutches did? All input appreciated - - and no double disc units for daily driving please.

Old minds need to know . . . :D
YEP.....

I used to suffer the same problem with my foot always slipping sideways off the clutch..... but then it did not take long to fry my C6 OEM clutch! Then i got a RAM dual disc clutch.... it does not slip and will handle up to 1200 bhp. BUT the wierd thing is that is does not require ANY extra noticeable pedal pressure to engage this unit ....i use it comfortably as my daily driver and i battle 2 hours of stop and go traffic every day. Two thumbs way up for the RAM clutch!!

Doc

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the double disc units I have driven have had "instant" take up but they were all adjustable drag race units. When trying to go slow it was 'interesting'.

So, you are saying that the take up travel feels similar to stock ( I could care less about the pressure)? If so, where did you get your clutch and are any extras needed?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
All the double disc units I have driven have had "instant" take up but they were all adjustable drag race units. When trying to go slow it was 'interesting'.

So, you are saying that the take up travel feels similar to stock ( I could care less about the pressure)? If so, where did you get your clutch and are any extras needed?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

that's exactly what i'm saying olddog. My mechanic bought my RAM clutch directly from the Manufacturer www.ramclutches.com. i believe we got the street release bearing kit as well to give us similar take up travel as the stock. Only downside i've found with the RAM is it takes approx 700-800 km to fully seat the bearings (break-in period) and when the clutch is depressed you hear a slight "whirring" sound. Other than that....great clutch - the best IMHO. Wish they made them for my F-car!!

Doc

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the clarification on your Ram unit - - it will be that or a Z06 clutch I suppose.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
How much of an improvement is the Z06 clutch.:huh:

·
Registered
316 Posts
How much of an improvement is the Z06 clutch.:huh:
not much... my buddy has a new z and he has already fried his.... remember more torque/more hp more clutch wear...

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I have had good luck with my C6 Z06 clutch and flywheel. The one warning was I had mine balanced and the shop that balanced it says it needed balancing.

The one warning Ranger provided that I have heeded is, do not slip the clutch as the OEM C6 Z06 Clutch glazes easily. I have over 20k miles on my clutch and no problems so far.

:cheers:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have had good luck with my C6 Z06 clutch and flywheel. The one warning was I had mine balanced and the shop that balanced it says it needed balancing.

The one warning Ranger provided that I have heeded is, do not slip the clutch as the OEM C6 Z06 Clutch glazes easily. I have over 20k miles on my clutch and no problems so far.

:cheers:
Agreed..... The clutch is easily glazed but the seal on the lower slave cyclinder can also readily give way due to abuse (too many clutch dumps or speed shifts) and the oil then leaks out onto the clutch plate and bingo-bango - time for a new clutch. I know, the latter has happened to both me and my friends clutch.

a.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts