Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking this winter I may go ahead and pull my engine and replace the shortblock, I just bought a set of reman stock heads about a month ago. The car runs better but my oil pressure won't stay above 2-3 lbs at idle after warming up. I just changed the oil to 20-50 and installed a HV oil pump (just to see). I replaced my rear main seal this weekend and noticed the bearing was scored quite a bit.

I was looking for a supplier of rebuilt short blocks at a decent price, I would rather re-use my new heads. Keep in mind I'm not made of money nor am I looking for increased performance..........I just want to be able to drive the dang thing :thud: I've owned the car since 2005 and haven't actually driven it more than 400 total miles.

I don't really have $1500 + to spend on a GM crate engine, so the cheapest solution would be better on me financially.......I'm doing the install myself.

It seems like there has to be a supplier that will sell shortblocks for around $700.......

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I'm thinking this winter I may go ahead and pull my engine and replace the shortblock, I just bought a set of reman stock heads about a month ago. The car runs better but my oil pressure won't stay above 2-3 lbs at idle after warming up. I just changed the oil to 20-50 and installed a HV oil pump (just to see). I replaced my rear main seal this weekend and noticed the bearing was scored quite a bit.

I was looking for a supplier of rebuilt short blocks at a decent price, I would rather re-use my new heads. Keep in mind I'm not made of money nor am I looking for increased performance..........I just want to be able to drive the dang thing :thud: I've owned the car since 2005 and haven't actually driven it more than 400 total miles.

I don't really have $1500 + to spend on a GM crate engine, so the cheapest solution would be better on me financially.......I'm doing the install myself.

It seems like there has to be a supplier that will sell shortblocks for around $700.......

Thanks!
GM has shortbloks for about that.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
.....a single wt 40 for instance will have a similar oil pressure to 10W40 at operating temperature. So, a single grade oil is not going to do anything if you stick with similar grades. We've had this whole oil debate here before, there sure is some bad info floating around. I will say it again, there's no suich thing as a multiviscosity, you can only have a single viscosity at a certain temp (and this is how viscosity is specified, at a certain temp!), I have yet to see a substance that has 2 different viscosities. It's called a ultigrade oil, meaning the oil has a viscosity that meets the test standards to be classified as a 10W (but not so thin as to be classified a 5 or a 0) at low temp (0C) and does not thin out more than a comparison classifying it as a 40 grade at high temp (100C). It's still the same substance, it's just that the VII alter the viscosity trajectory by affecting the thinning of the oil w/ temp rise. The single grade just will have an unnecessary high oil pressure when the oil is cold or still warming up. @ 100C and above it will be similar.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tell me if I'm wrong.....

So basically a multigrade maintains it's viscosity at all temps?
Yes and No. But I will try and make it more simple than what Twin Turbo wrote. A straight weight 40 will act and be 40 weight from cold through running temp. This is why if you run a straight weight oil such as 30 or 40 or 50 and so on the oil pressure when cold will be high and come down after the engine has warmed up and comes up to operating temperature. Where as a Multi weight oil such as 10-40 will act like a 10 weight when cold and thicken as the engine warms to the 40 weight to maintain a more constant oil pressure. And under many climate conditions this is a plus. As lets say you are in a very cold climate where some will run as low as a 5 -20 or a 5-30 this will enable the oil to flow more freely when the engine is cold and yet thicken enough to protect the engine during operating temperature.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys :thumbsup:

I ended up finding a local rebuilder that can rebuild my stock shortblock for $650 + tax. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like I have my winter project lined out. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.