Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He guys,

The thing is a bought a brand new stock front spoiler, but I can see it lasting as long as the other one which wasnt much...
I have seen on my friends C5 its made of rubber so it flexes when it hits something.

Any hard rubber or similar out there for C4???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I lowered my vette, I wanted a low air dam in front but something that wouldn't get broken very quick. The first thing I found is my front spoiler had got banged up so many times it was bent down. I heated the spoiler up with a heat gun and using heavy gloves I bent the front upward and held it up till it cooled off. That locked it in place where it should be. The bottom was ripped up from dragging, I decided to cut about a 1" off of bottom. There was less chance of it hitting now but it looked odd. I looked for some kind of rubber I could put on top of it. I was trying to come down pretty low to the ground but be soft rubber so it wouldn't matter if it hit. What I found was the rubber protectors they put on the top rails of pickup boxes. It was just about the right length and it had a double face tape to hold it on. You mount it with flange where it goes over edge of pickup box to the bottom. having the flange at bottom makes it look better too,like it's supposed to be there. It's not just a flat peice of rubber . I haven't completely mounted the rubber yet but plan on pop riveting a washer every so often along bottom of plastic spoiler. I wouldn't trust just the tape too hold it on. I plan on painting the washers and rivets flat black later. hope this helps Tim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a lot of work turbotim,

But I bet it pays off. I was hopping to find a brand that made a copy of the stock one but made out of that rubber just like C5 so if you have to go over a speed bump thats way too big, like they all are it just gets out of the way and doesnt brake your entire front end...
But if cant find that will sure consider doing what you did.

Thanks man!! great help!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just replaced the center section of the spoiler on my 88. The spoiler I got was an upgrade over the original one still on the car. It included a steel brace about 4 inches long that mounted vertically in the center to help keep the spoiler from sagging and getting beat up. I had to drill a hole in the center horizontal support but installation was pretty easy. Definitely an improvement over the old one. BTW, I looked at a lot of replacement spoilers before deciding and did not find any rubber or HD ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts