284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of moving there next year how do you like it? the weather, the roads,
the drives any info would be great

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Laramie. :laughing:

Well, the one time I stopped at Laramie during a cross-country jaunt, I was delighted to find out my room was going to be $250 that night because of some silly "rodeo" that was in town.

Then the next time thru Laramie, I got stuck in a darn near deadly snow storm near Laramie in the "canyons" on I-80... in the Z06 ... in September. Then once again snow in the 2nd week of May during the Cannonball One Lap of America.

Beautiful country, no question. Magnificent. But buy a 4x4, you'll need it like everyone else down there. I think Vettes are used very little.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, first of all it ain't California. It's about as far away as you can get politically and socially. Laramie is a nice little college town--the college is a good one (their auto tech school produces many excellent professional race mechanics), and that also means lots of young people from out of town, which is kinda rare in most Wyoming towns. If you like drinkin', huntin', fishin', drinkin', cowboyin', roughneckin', drinkin' and a hard-ass attitude you'll like Wyoming. You probably won't find much in the way of sushi bars or jazz clubs, but the town does have some culture and a good radio station. It is authentic, genuine American West.
The winters are cold, harsh and windy. The summers are hot, sunny and windy. Spring and fall are either hot or cold but nice, and windy. The roads are long, lonely, well maintained but potentially dangerous --ice, snowdrifts, large & small animals, fast trucks, rocks--and windy. Luckily, a Corvette won't be affected by the wind very much. You must always have in your car clothes, food, water and a flashlite. Tire chains, tools, flares & a fold-up shovel are a good idea, too, even in good weather--situations change very quickly in Wyoming. Your cell phone may well be out of range, so you must be prepared to be on your own if something happens.
You'll see more stars than you ever imagined existed, listen to coyotes yipping & calling through the night, watch a 6' eagle take off from a fence post 50 feet away. Midnite drives across the Red Desert or through the mountains are incredible in their splendor. It is a harshly beautiful and quite humbling country.
I never lived in Laramie, but it is a nicer town than most in Wyoming. I have traversed Wyoming many many times (still do) and lived in a number of other towns in Wyoming, working the oil patch, when younger. Try it, you may or may not like it, but you won't forget it and it'll be a good experience. Give ya character, doncha know.
And Fort Collins, & the Front Range of Colorado, is only a couple hours away down a nice canyon. A big partying college town with lots of action & college girls.
Keep in mind, though--Wyoming ain't for pussys!:laughing:

John

PS. Patrick: uh, yeah, and your point is....?:laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Oh, did I forget to mention the wind blows a lot? Sorry.
Yea, I noticed all the wind breaks on the tops of hills as you go down I-80.
:laughing:

Oh... one more thing... in Wyoming if you need gas... do NOT wait until it's almost on "E"... you'll regret it.:laughing:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info may be moving there soon oh yea i live in the hills of glendale and yes i no what wind is and pipes foze in the back house last winter and it snowed 2twice in last 23 years.:smack also we have had 3 inches of rain this last year not much huh. but maybe time for change never been called a pussy but the colddd hum .

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pat for got to mention my wife ran out of gas today:smack

·
Registered
754 Posts
:agree: with everyting that Jphil posted, did he mention the wind? I Had some friends that went to school up there at UW... Not too bad a place.

We are about an hour or so south east in Northern Colorado. The wheather can be bad, but is typrically gone within a day or two... We are known for big storms in the spring and fall, so its not suprising to see Patrick got caught in the snow in May and September. I would be willing to bet, it only lasted a few days though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yea, I noticed all the wind breaks on the tops of hills as you go down I-80.
:laughing:
Actually, those are 'snow fences.' They create eddies in the wind so the snow drifts will pile up in the lee side of them instead of on the road below. In some places they'll be six deep because there is so much blowing drifting snow....

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts