Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody modified the Spare Tire tray to hold a full size tire on a early model C4?
I tried searching the forums, but not finding anything :huh:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Man I just don't see that happening. That spare is itty bitty compared to even a small stock tire, something like 255-50R 16. I think I've got my tire carrier still I will look at the size difference for you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A full size tire will fit under there but it hangs down, the carrier adjusts for the larger tire, those zr1 sized tires wont fit from what I remember reading. Directly above the spare tire location is the gas tank, so I don't know what you'd modify to get it tucked up in there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I just don't see that happening. That spare is itty bitty compared to even a small stock tire, something like 255-50R 16. I think I've got my tire carrier still I will look at the size difference for you.
A full size tire will fit under there but it hangs down, the carrier adjusts for the larger tire, those zr1 sized tires wont fit from what I remember reading. Directly above the spare tire location is the gas tank, so I don't know what you'd modify to get it tucked up in there.
The spare tire "shelf" for lack of a better word for it, kinda hangs on two brackets.... I was thinking if I can extend the brackets (replace them with longer ones) so that the pivot point of the shelf is lower...then I think it can accommodate a larger width tire.
I was just wondering if anyone has already done this?

·
Registered
423 Posts
If I remember from the owners manual, the spare tire carrier has to/can be adjusted downward to hold the regular size tire

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Did you think that if you had a flat, you installed the space saver and the left the road wheel at the side of the road? :laughing: As was stated, the ZR1 rear doesn't fit and there is a bag with two handles to put the road wheel in so it can be stored in the rear compartment. All other standard wheels fit within the carrier after it is lowered to the road wheel position.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did you think that if you had a flat, you installed the space saver and the left the road wheel at the side of the road?
:laughing: As I was reading this I was thinking..there is no way a full size tire would go up in there..but it would have to..:smack
I just pulled mine out this week. I am fairly certain it had never been out. The jack was still wrapped in the bag, and looked like brand new. Still has the instructions wired to it :laughing:
Gary

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has anybody modified the Spare Tire tray to hold a full size tire on a early model C4?
I tried searching the forums, but not finding anything
Ask and you will receive!
As I don't have a proper jack pad for the floor jack..yet.. I had to use the factory one again today.
I decided to take the instructions off the jack before I screwed them up. Low and behold here is the info you ask about. Good to know also.
Gary

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ask and you will receive!
As I don't have a proper jack pad for the floor jack..yet.. I had to use the factory one again today.
I decided to take the instructions off the jack before I screwed them up. Low and behold here is the info you ask about. Good to know also.
Gary
Boy don't I feel dumb. :thud: All I had to do was to look inside the space where the jack handle is stored and there were the same instructions you posted. Thanks, Gary, for your effort. I do appreciate it. ;)

Wouldn't you know it though.... nothing comes easy. :rolleyes:
When I had my custom exhaust work done, the muffler shop placed the pipes coming out of the X-Pipe so close to the tire tray, such that when I just tried lowering it to the "road tire" size, it won't clear the pipes :WTF, so it looks like I still have an issue.
The exhaust work is still within the 1-year warranty period they gave me.... I wonder if it applies to the elimination of a "normal" operation of the vehicle, and not just the exhaust. Ya think? :devil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts