Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
i think you are,
i had an 83' trans-am that had cross-fire injection,i tore that stuff out and went all edelbrook,summit cam with stainless slp exhaust.i changed the cam about 6 times in one month until i found the right one,the ones i didn't use we were putting in Da Hwaiian Punchs 79 grand prix with a 400c.i.in it.we would try anything.:laughing:
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
i think you are,
i had an 83' trans-am that had cross-fire injection,i tore that stuff out and went all edelbrook,summit cam with stainless slp exhaust.i changed the cam about 6 times in one month until i found the right one,the ones i didn't use we were putting in Da Hwaiian Punchs 79 grand prix with a 400c.i.in it.we would try anything.:laughing:
Lots of carbed C1/C2/C3 ... rare on a C4.... almost never on a C5...
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
more people might try it,but it's probably illegal in most states,plus the LT1 on up to present fuel injection kicks carberations ass anyway,no reason to change.:smokin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hawaii-5-lo said:
more people might try it,but it's probably illegal in most states,plus the LT1 on up to present fuel injection kicks carberations ass anyway,no reason to change.:smokin:
I bet my carbed car smokes most lt-1's easy...I walked one bad this weekend!:smokin:
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
I bet my carbed car smokes most lt-1's easy...I walked one bad this weekend!:smokin:
i'm just talking stock for stock-drivability,milage,etc,i'm sure you don't have that carb sitting on a stock engine.when i did that to my trans-am,the car was slower than when it had the cross-fire,then i had to put 3:73 gears to get the car to move again.
a carb on a stock C5 would lose torque,milage,drivability.not even worth it,unless it's some totally illegal monster motor.even then i would still go fuel injection,it's way more tunable also.
i didn't mean to offend you,heck i did the same thing as you.it's just not worth it with todays technology in my opinion.:buhbye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hawaii-5-lo said:
i'm just talking stock for stock-drivability,milage,etc,i'm sure you don't have that carb sitting on a stock engine.when i did that to my trans-am,the car was slower than when it had the cross-fire,then i had to put 3:73 gears to get the car to move again.
a carb on a stock C5 would lose torque,milage,drivability.not even worth it,unless it's some totally illegal monster motor.even then i would still go fuel injection,it's way more tunable also.
i didn't mean to offend you,heck i did the same thing as you.it's just not worth it with todays technology in my opinion.:buhbye:
I didnt take offence at all....I know fuel injection is far superior. I just went the cheep way out....I could always slap a super ram on it but then I would have to deal with all the stupid sensors & gay check engine light bs....Now that I think about it I will stick with a carb!:thumbsup: :smokin:
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
if i had your origanal set-up,i would have probably done the same thing.i had an 89' and i came real close to doing it to that car.and i new what parts (ruffly) to get all at once so it would be fast when the job was complete.i learned from the first time.:laughing:
i forgot to say in my first reply that the G.S. scheme is nice also.what other mods have you done to the motor?:smokin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hawaii-5-lo said:
i
i forgot to say in my first reply that the G.S. scheme is nice also.what other mods have you done to the motor?:smokin:
Thanks:cheers: My engine is a 383 stroker balanced & blue printed with comp cams roller cam setup, Dart pro-1 aluminum heads, harland sharp roller rockers (7/16 stud 1.6's) edelbrock rpm airgap intake & holly 750 cArb... I am sure I am forgetting somthing???:)
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
ceramic coated headers with duel 3 " exhaust ?:laughing: sounds like a torque monster,you attacked the project perfectly.i just tossed the edelbrook intake and carb on a stock motor,and well,it idled good anyway.:laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site, just registered today. I've recently installed a 600 cfm carb (thought 750 would be "overkill" for a stock 350) on my 84. So far I love it. Tired of bangin' my head against the wall and/or pavement tryin' everything under the sun to get the X-fire to perform like some designer had "Dreamed" it should. I've heard they're nice when they work right..................Well...............Doesn't everything ?????? I've also had the 700R tranny rebuilt (now she can "leave her mark" in 2nd gear). True dual exhaust capped off with flow thru mufflers. And a mechanical advance distributer. I feel these are enough mods for an engine with 120,000 miles on it. But........time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: carbed c4

Tormek said:
Hi, I am also new to this site, just registered today. Yes, I've recently installed a 600 cfm carb (thought 750 would be "overkill" for a stock 350) on my 84. So far I love it. Tired of bangin' my head against the wall and/or pavement tryin' everything under the sun to get the X-fire to perform like some designer had "Dreamed" it should. I've heard they're nice when they work right..................Well...............Doesn't everything ?????? ]
Welcome!:cheers: Glad to see I am not the only carbed c-4 around here.:thumbsup: I also had an x-ram...It helped but I was still getting walked by Camaro's & ta's so I Bought a crate engine,scrapped the x-ram & installed a good old reliable carb & I LOVE it!:thumbsup:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top