Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPM system alarmed yesterday morning and showed 22psi on the right rear. It normally has about 30 psi. I drove to work and by the time I went home, it had 20 psi. I assume I have picked up a nail. I aired it up to 30 because I didn't have time to take it in, and this morning it was 27. I'll be taking it to Discount Tire where I get all of my tire work done. Are there any problems with repairing a tread puncture in runflats? I wouldn't think so, but just wondered.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I would look at the manufacturers information. Some will specify a method of repair. As long as the tire is repaired accordingly and the damage is not near the sidewall, I think you will be ok. I know that many places will refuse to repair a Z-rated tire. Keep in mind that you probably don't want to make any high speed runs with patched rubber.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would look at the manufacturers information. Some will specify a method of repair. As long as the tire is repaired accordingly and the damage is not near the sidewall, I think you will be ok. I know that many places will refuse to repair a Z-rated tire. Keep in mind that you probably don't want to make any high speed runs with patched rubber.
Thanks! These are the original Goodyear runflats. I'll check their website and see if it has repair info. My high speed days are pretty much over. A little heavy foot off the line is fun now and then, but 100 mph plus doesn't appeal to me like it did in my younger years. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've driven on my share of patched tires over the years. And common sense pretty much told me not to over do it. I don't think I was ever over the high 80's on any of them. But now that it's been brought up, just what is the limit on a patched tire? I was always told that the patched area was just as strong as the rest of the tire and possibly even stronger. Was I deceived? Is it the composition of the higher speed tire that makes the patch less dependable? Not look'n for opinions. Looking for written factual type facts. Thanks in advance. :D

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
My TPM system alarmed yesterday morning and showed 22psi on the right rear. It normally has about 30 psi. I drove to work and by the time I went home, it had 20 psi. I assume I have picked up a nail. I aired it up to 30 because I didn't have time to take it in, and this morning it was 27. I'll be taking it to Discount Tire where I get all of my tire work done. Are there any problems with repairing a tread puncture in runflats? I wouldn't think so, but just wondered.
I would replace them, and certainly not put the pedal to the metal with a puncture!

·
Registered
126 Posts
In reading the runflat warranty it says..

"Because of the unique characteristics of Goodyear Run-Flat
EMT tires, ................must be performed by service personnel
at an authorized Goodyear EMT service facility."

"Trained service personnel will inspect your
tires and tire pressure monitoring system to determine if they
are in need of repair or replacement."

So apparently you can do some repair..:huh:
Gary

http://www.goodyear.ca/about/diversity/emt_warranty.pdf

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Depending on where the leak is you can repair the GY F1 RFs but, a GY rep told me they lose the High Speed Rating. When I got the puncture I was racing regularly and replaced the tire.

:cheers:

·
Registered
476 Posts
They'll probably be able to patch it but they will probably put a disclaimer saying they arent responsible it the tire fails at high speed or during racing the guys at the tire shop next door to us have the same disclaimer on their bills.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
You can have three plug patches and still have speed warranty. Don't you love having run flats. On a regular tire you would not still be driving on it...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Back when I had them, I patched more than my fair share of run flats with no issues at all (kept cutting through alleys chasing skirts :D). That's back when I was stupid enough to do 160mph down a freeway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't do any high speed driving. I plgged my Goodyear run flat about 3 years ago no problem. After all it is a run flat and will run with zero air. I have run on many plugged non run flat tires when that the only way they were repaired at any tire shop. I feel better with a plug in a run flat then in a standard tire. Flame suit on :excited:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
So, to clarify... can either a runflat or regular tire be patched/plugged, and still maintain its original speed rating? Which, neither? :huh:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just fyi I went to discount tire and they did not use jack pucks after I told them. I assumed they did, but when I went to check they did not and the guy told me the car did not need them. Yes it crack the panels under the car and they did nothing. Take pucks with you.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Just fyi I went to discount tire and they did not use jack pucks after I told them. I assumed they did, but when I went to check they did not and the guy told me the car did not need them. Yes it crack the panels under the car and they did nothing. Take pucks with you.
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWING THEM TO GET AWAY WITH THAT, RIGHT??? :huh:

·
Registered
94 Posts
It was a small crack and not noticable to anyone unless you crawl under car. I did not want to take the chance with body shop messing something else up. I do not trust anyone with this car.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Next time you forget your pucks, make them use the tire balancing lift. That lift has the center placed jacks that utilize the 4 alternate lifting spots on the car. They are shown in the owner's manual if you don't know where they are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts