Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't even tried to start the 'vette since June when I wrecked it at the track. It's still far from drivable but I'd like to at least fire it up to make sure it still runs OK. I hit the wall sideways fairly hard, but there were some nice thick pads that cushioned most of the blow. The motor mounts broke and the motor shifted far enough to the driver's side to completely crush the headers against the steering box but there doesn't appear to be any frame damage. I rotated the crank by hand through a few revolutions and nothing felt out of the ordinary. I'd put the old exhaust manifold on the driver's side just for the time being.

Oil level and color looks just fine. I think a seam on the radiator broke, so I'll have to fill her back up with coolant and do a pressure test to find leaks, but is there any other reason I shouldn't just hook up the battery and turn the key? :huh:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You might unplug the ing. and crank it over a few times first and see if everything sounds cool first.
If its on stands dont put it in gear.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Was the transmission mount damaged or were there any cracks to the bell housing?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Why didn't you say so. We could have fired it up when I was down there. I would crank it enough to get the oil pressure up before leting it fire... The only way to find out is to start it...

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to do a little work to get it ready to fire. Gotta get the new bolt for the alternator bracket, put the manifold on, and figure out the cooling system situation. The first two on that list are real easy, but the last one will take a little investigation.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If you are just wanting to fire it to make sure it runs I wouldn't worry about the radiator. Just don't run it for more than 30 secs to a minute. You could run it longer but don't push your luck. If you are putting a stock manifold on the car run some sort of pipe away from the collector. Also follow the above direction, prime the oil pump with the coil wire removed to get pressure up and hear the rotating assemby.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't run it...

If you did run it, you'd want to run it long enough to warm it up fully to evaporate any condensation in the oil, but this is of questionable benefit. More importantly, I'd be concerned that the bell housing may be slightly distorted which could put your trans in a bind and do further damage. This applies to automatic transmissions as well as sticks.

I'd pull the engine and trans to fix the frame and engine mount damage, and dial-in the bell housing to prevent further damage.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
If you find anything wrong with the bellhousing, don't go buy one- I have 2. Not the really sought after "612" casting, but hey, they work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts