Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am redoing the rear suspension, and cant get the strut rods off. I'm not sure the name, but the bolt/strut mount wont budge. Didnt know if there was a trick, if not I'll add fire to the mix, lol

thanks

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Hi,
I am redoing the rear suspension, and cant get the strut rods off. I'm not sure the name, but the bolt/strut mount wont budge. Didnt know if there was a trick, if not I'll add fire to the mix, lol

thanks
Lots of penetrating oil and a heat gun really help. They also make a "knocker" for the bolt that holds the shocks. Pretty simple device, you could make your own.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hello. If you are talking about where the strut rod meets the shock then that L shaped bolt is your sock mount. There is something called a shock mount removal tool which is essentially a big nut that threads on so that you can knock the heck out of it without damaging the threads. The guys around this forum may have another trick. I will be reading because I will be changing my rear suspension as well. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
127 Posts
Shock mount removal

We get a lot of Trailing arms in for rebuilding with the strut rod still attached because the shock mount is frozen.
We use a shock mount knocker and a torch as close as possible to the shock mount hole on the ears of the spindle housing for persuasion.
Be sure you use a shock knocker with a plug in the bottom of it so you bottom it out on the shock mount and not on the threads.
On some the shock mounts are really frozen in and we have to cut them out. Be carefull hitting it on the car because if the ear of the spindle housing are not backed up for support when hitting the knocker you can break off an ear.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
hey also make a "knocker" for the bolt that holds the shocks. Pretty simple device, you could make your own.
yeah just google "Knockers" you should find it right away :devil::smack

edit: joke btw. :laughing:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I have heated it up damn near glowing hot, and it still wont come out. Does anyone have any extra of these cheaper than the new ones from the vendors? I am about to cut the damn things off and drill out the center.

this has been the biggest pain in the ass!
thanks
Ed

·
Supporting Vendor
127 Posts
well, I have heated it up damn near glowing hot, and it still wont come out. Does anyone have any extra of these cheaper than the new ones from the vendors? I am about to cut the damn things off and drill out the center.

this has been the biggest pain in the ass!
thanks
Ed
You can pm me. We have some used ones also have the knockers.
Ps we googled knockers mrmarchuk. I see what you mean!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts