Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the conversions offered by Eckler's and such, but considering the price, I'm looking at an alternative. Does anybody have any experience with converting to power steering?
I am just curious about the difficulty of this job, if there are any special concerns, AND what parts will I will need?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I converted my 68 roadster to power steering in 1994. Converted it back to manual steering in 95. My 69 that I sold this past summer also had manual steering. My opinion is that it isn't worth the money to convert manual to power. I'm an ASE Master technician, and GM test certified to boot, but it took me a while to get the system to stop leaking and to get the slave cylinder bled and adjusted so the hydraulic boost bias was balanced right to left (my car would turn left really easy, but took more effort to go right).

There are two points on the steering knuckle that you can choose to set your tie rods on a manual steering vehicle. The front mount is for faster steering response and more effort, and the back one is for easier turning, but slower steering input. Make sure your car's tie rods are on the rear setting, and your steering effort will only be slightly more difficult than power steering.

The parts you need to do the swap are: A pump and pump mounting brackets (make SURE you get the rear, L shaped bracket, not just the cradle shaped one), a power steering style drag link (don't skimp, buy new. Most of the used ones out there have worn out ball joints), the slave cylinder, hoses, and PS fluid. It would be a good idea to replace the idler arm while your at it.

If you don't want leaks and hassles, stay with the manual steering. That's JMO, Good luck whichever way you choose to go!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the help. I will reconsider the conversion. Maybe the money can be better spent elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I installed PS from a wrecked car on mine last winter. Sure makes driving a whole lot more easier experience. I rebuilt everything in my garage. Nothing too complicated. But if you are in the market and are considering all new components, give Speed Direct a look. They have a bolt in rack and pinion setup that only costs a little more. Several have installed it and are happy. I didn't know about speed directs kit when I did my rebuild or I may have done that myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts