Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my computers was running Win98/se. It had been giving me grief for the last week when starting up so I converted/upgraded to XP Home thinking all would be fixed during install.
Well now it starts ok but it no longer can find the D Link port for printer, the "box" that should show up is a line of jibberish in properties and it cannot be deleted.
Ok, so I hooked the printer up direct to computer, picked the lpt and it should print right? Still nothing. I have deleted and reinstalled printer and drivers.:nuts:
Anyone have any ideas?
Email to me or reply here. Thanks for any help.
Jim [email protected]

·
resident conservative
1,039 Posts
Format the hard drive and do a new intstall with XP trying to upgrade from 98 some times will not work because some files on 98 are corrupt, you can do a fresh install with a up grade from XP

·
Registered
749 Posts
good advice, grape....never do an "upgrade" from a prior window version. always do a clean install and with a full version disk. personally, i like winxp pro and with ie6.0 and nortons 2003 you can't go wrong. MHO

·
Registered
335 Posts
Many times the drivers that came with your printer are not compatable with XP. Make sure you have the newest drivers designed JUST for XP. If you printers is an HP, you can download the driver from www.hp.com. Lexmark also will provide you with updated drivers.

If the drivers are not your problem. The D-link rounter could be. It is a Rounter right? D-link routers many times hold on to the static IP address from the version of windows you were running. D-link routers can be reset by pushing the reset button located on the rounter. This will be a little hole that you stick the end of a paper clip or something into. This will reset the router. You may then have to download the D-link software from www.dlink.com.

I have a D-link DI-604 router.

And like they said, do a full install. Upgrading just increases your problems.

basecorvette

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I agree with everyone else that a fresh install of any OS is the best.

I would first take the path basecorvette recommends of getting the latest drivers for "XP". You may want to uninstall any printer drivers that you currently have on your computer before installing the newer ones.

First get the printer working without the router. Once you get it working you can try hooking up the router.

You should also hook another working printer to your lpt to make certain that your lpt is working in the first place.

good luck

:cheers:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"live and learn"

Words to live by....

Thanks to all who replied. The situation got ugly shortly after my post, the system will not boot, says " missing or corrupt...\windows\system32\confog\system.

taking drive to someone who can get info out and reformat, that isn't my cup of tea.

D Link is working along with the printer from the 3 other computers hooled to it. Printer would not work directly from the cpu.

Thanks again,
Jim

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
stilcrazee said:
"live and learn"

Words to live by....

Thanks to all who replied. The situation got ugly shortly after my post, the system will not boot, says " missing or corrupt...\windows\system32\confog\system.

taking drive to someone who can get info out and reformat, that isn't my cup of tea.

D Link is working along with the printer from the 3 other computers hooled to it. Printer would not work directly from the cpu.

Thanks again,
Jim
Sounds like a virus, bub.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Patrick96LT4 said:
Sounds like a virus, bub.
It was, from what I have put together after the fact, a hardware conflict that I didn't recognize as such...I rebooted and it lost or corrupted system files. It wasn't until I read the troubleshooting guide that I picked up that the install will stop dead if there is a conflict...instructions didn't specify how to recover or end install at that point. Reboot called for set up disk and did not give option to terminate install.
I put the drive in another machine as a slave, got to my critical programs and opened them, then created a shortcut on desktop. Will get another hard drive as that one is making some noise that I don't care for and transfer files/data after reinstalling programs, then put new drive in the old chassis.

Biggest problem is that when machine boots that drive causes scandisk to run.

I have run 2 different Virus programs and drive is clean.

·
Registered
749 Posts
how old is the hard drive? it may have some physical problems.

have you formatted the drive at all?

if you haven't formatted it, the installation failure may have corrupted the info on the hard drive.

get what you need off the hard drive and save it, then do a complete format on it.

use fdisk to check when done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts