Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about the guy, but I am getting this sinking feeling that Tom Wallace might be a problem. I don't see any long term involvement in Corvette, he looks kinda stodgy. I wish someone like Rick Conti was in charge; am I just too paranoid?:crazy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
C2C3C4C6 said:
I don't know much about the guy, but I am getting this sinking feeling that Tom Wallace might be a problem. I don't see any long term involvement in Corvette, he looks kinda stodgy. I wish someone like Rick Conti was in charge; am I just too paranoid?:crazy:

Tom Wallace is a first class act.
here is a list of a few of his products he was the creater for

Buick Grand National
buick GNX 1987 (faster than the corvette that year)
and Trailblazer SS
and had a hand in the GM racing side of things that he ran out the backdoor of GM

Plus he is a racer and a hardcore muslecar freak, he drives and races Corvettes in SCCA club racing along with his sons and is working on a
C6 Z06 (before he became the big guy) to race in SCCA now. So don't think he is bean counter, Tom is a racer and unlike Dave Hill (who never owned a Corvette til GM gave him one) Tom knows how to go fast and be reliable :cheers:

·
Registered
471 Posts
From what CWarren is saying

it sounds like he's the right guy for the job. I still don't understand why go through all the trouble of putting all the coolers on the Z06 and keep the crappy tranverse leaf suspension (well, I know why, because it is very expensive and would require a lot of re-tooling at the factory, especially if you have two vettes with two different suspensions). I'm convinced that the C7 will have coil-overs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
He's cool

Ok, here we go. I'm gonna open myself up to shots but here's one Blonde's opinion. I'm not taking a poke at you, just giving my observations. I think your opening sentence reveals part of the problem "I don't know much about the guy..." So that mean he's a problem? Let me ask you this: Have you spent any time talking with him in person? Were you at Sebring or the Bash? I didn't see you in the bar after the banquets where he was hanging out with the gang and we got a real sense of the guy. Give him a shot.

I did take the time to observe #4 and talked with him quite a bit at the Bash, Sebring and other opportunites. I had reservations about this changing of the guard too. He's obviously not a GM "suit" and what's cool is he doesn't want to be one either. He's an engineer. He's new to the idea of being "Number 4" in an historic list of Chiefs but he gets the relevence and seriousness of it. I think he'll grow in to that. Geeze 120 days in to the job and his calendar is already booked with Corvette related work, meetings and events all the way in to Aug - I'd say that's having a focus on Corvette. He says he doesn't have to spend all day working on the Kappa cars stuff because the guys that were running it in the past were simply moved over under him and will continue what they are doing simply with his oversite. Lessons learned from Corvette are being integrated in to Kappa car programs. So my impression is that #4 is all Corvette all the time. Or most of it anyway. This is what people wanted right? Corvette's goodness gets directly injected in to other programs.

#4 seems very approachable and interested in what people have to say about their Corvettes including past gen stuff like C5 issues. Every time I turned around, someone would suggest something or make a comment and he's looking for Harlan saying "did you hear that, write that down". He was checking out the cars in the lot all the time looking at what folks are doing to them and getting ideas.

My impression is that #4 isn't putting himself up on a pedestal acting like he's smarter than the customers. He's listening and learning from us - and quickly. He spent time in the vendor area checking stuff out and drove the ass off the Corsa Pres's personal Vette just to see what the exhaust sounded like. It was funny, you had to be there. My point? He doesn't stand there and listen and make some stupid GM judgement like he's an instant expert due to his new title. He's a hands on guy that is immersing himself in the community and the product and genuinely wants to have a positive impact on the program. If not, he's the best friggen actor I've ever seen in my life.

He races cars, he's wrecked or raced about everything that ever had wheels under it at least once in his life because he pushes the envelope and digs high perf just like you. He's building a Corvette race car now and has crew chiefed in the past. He did a presentation to a club here in Detroit last week which I attended and when he walked in he personally knew half the people there already. Some for 20 yrs because he had raced with them locally or worked with them at GM. He did the gig and knew his stuff. Good luck tricking him in to revealing info he shouldn't, he's sharp. What's funny is, unlike Hill, he actually wants to tell you the secret stuff and has to stop himself. He's like you, he wants to get in to the good bits. He's excited about what coming down the pike and it shows. He seems to have a technical grasp of the program.

This Blonde sez it's more like "Local Boy Does Good" than "Clueless Suit takes over Corvette".

So I say spend the time and them make up your mind. Folks whined about Hill when he got the job because he was a Cadillac guy and the last thing he did was the Allante. UGH! Hill changed everyone's mind about him in short order and he did great. It's gotta be a tough thing to be putting along fine in your career making Trailblazers and then one day Maximum Bob Lutz calls you in to his office and says Hey do you want become the next Elvis/Dali Lamma/John Lennon/Pied Piper. You realize what that's about to do to your life and if you screw it up, it will leave a permanent scar that the whole world will see and talk about til the end of time. That crown is heavy and I think it fits him ok.

I think #4 will be just fine and you'll be happy with him. Corvette Racing likes him, the NCM digs him and he is going to support both 100%. To me, that counts big. NO, I don't work for GM or any of their affiliates, dealers blah blah disclaimer blah. Just a Corvette owner that met the new guy, took the time to see who he is, and is very impressed. And hey, if he blows this gig, I'll be the first to say I was wrong and that he F'd it up and help seek a solution.

Regards,
Col.
'04 LeMans Comm Cpe
6 Speed (Paddles are for sissies!)
Diggin it it Detroit :cheers: :buhbye: :drink:

·
Registered
110 Posts
CWarren said:
Tom Wallace is a first class act.
here is a list of a few of his products he was the creater for

Buick Grand National
buick GNX 1987 (faster than the corvette that year)
and Trailblazer SS
and had a hand in the GM racing side of things that he ran out the backdoor of GM

Plus he is a racer and a hardcore muslecar freak, he drives and races Corvettes in SCCA club racing along with his sons and is working on a
C6 Z06 (before he became the big guy) to race in SCCA now. So don't think he is bean counter, Tom is a racer and unlike Dave Hill (who never owned a Corvette til GM gave him one) Tom knows how to go fast and be reliable :cheers:
REPLY: (in particular ) : 'So don't think he is bean counter, Tom is a racer and unlike Dave Hill (who never owned a Corvette til GM gave him one) Tom knows how to go fast and be reliable'

You should know that Dave Hill owns a 1970 vette in addition to his 2006 Vette ; GM 'may' have given him the 2006 , but I doubt they gave him his 1970 . Lastly, i think it is very disengenuous to slam ANY of the people at GM who have been directly responsible and who have worked diligently to make the Corvette what it is today. You should appreciate all who have contributed.

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts
C2C3C4C6 said:
:laughing: :smack :laughing: :smack :laughing:
This ones for you brother
:cheers:

I appreciate that kind remark....one of the nicest compliments!
Thanks!

CWarren..good point Tom is a racer....

·
Registered
587 Posts
sebrock said:
it sounds like he's the right guy for the job. I still don't understand why go through all the trouble of putting all the coolers on the Z06 and keep the crappy tranverse leaf suspension (well, I know why, because it is very expensive and would require a lot of re-tooling at the factory, especially if you have two vettes with two different suspensions). I'm convinced that the C7 will have coil-overs.
it is a simple bolt on for anyone that wants it. the ride is roughter and the only advantage is you can lower the car quickly and change the spring rate for auto crossing and track days

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think so or he would have mentioned it during his presentation. He mentions Buick GNX and lots of trucks but never said Camaro. Doesn't think he'll get the new Camaro under him either in the future.

Regards,
Col.
'04 LeMans Comm Cpe
6 Speed (Say no to Paddles)
:partyon: :excited: :smokin:

·
Registered
110 Posts
catbert said:
I'd err on the side of a racer - engineer, like Tom, over a straight "engineer" anytime.
REPLY: Here...ill post this again : 'Lastly, i think it is very disengenuous to slam ANY of the people at GM who have been directly responsible and who have worked diligently to make the Corvette what it is today. You should appreciate all who have contributed
'
This means that you should NOT say any disparaging remarks about Dave Hill because he gave us what the Corvette is , today. Please...quit trying to spread dissension thru gossip about those who made the Corvette a great car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think Tom is cool and I think Dave Hill was awsome. One of the coolest things I remember after buying my Vette was watching the DVD and seeing how passsionate Dave Hill was about the car. It made it seem even more special. I hope Tom is that passionate about Corvette (and I think he will be).

I am more worried about things like mpg and emmissions regulations having a bad effect on the Corvette. I hope Tom and the others at GM save us from having another Corvette below 200hp. May they save us with technology! (please!)

So I fear the change in government regulations. Not Tom Wallace with a 1970 Stingray!

·
Registered
587 Posts
C2C3C4C6 said:
sound like remarks from some one new to the corvette hobby

·
Registered
110 Posts
'I don't know much about the guy, but I am getting this sinking feeling that Tom Wallace might be a problem. I don't see any long term involvement in Corvette, he looks kinda stodgy.
'

REPLY: If you were at the NCM C5/6 Bash a couple weekends back and heard Tom Wallace speak, you would not feel the same way. He is obviously a highly intelligent and motivated guy to handle Corvette, and GM wouldnt have placed him as Chief Engineer if he wasnt capable of taking the reins from Dave Hill. Enjoy your corvette and maintain commeraderie in addition to having trust in its Leaders . Stop bitching too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
SwaveDave said:
REPLY: (in particular ) : 'So don't think he is bean counter, Tom is a racer and unlike Dave Hill (who never owned a Corvette til GM gave him one) Tom knows how to go fast and be reliable'

You should know that Dave Hill owns a 1970 vette in addition to his 2006 Vette ; GM 'may' have given him the 2006 , but I doubt they gave him his 1970 . Lastly, i think it is very disengenuous to slam ANY of the people at GM who have been directly responsible and who have worked diligently to make the Corvette what it is today. You should appreciate all who have contributed.
it wasn't a slam. and it wasn't a insult. When Dave Hill came to the platform he had no Corvette experience and had to learn the ropes. Tom has a background of the corvette (racing them and being there with US the consumer).

·
Registered
110 Posts
''So don't think he is bean counter, Tom is a racer and unlike Dave Hill (who never owned a Corvette til GM gave him one) Tom knows how to go fast and be reliable
'

You : It wasnt a slam.

ME: IF it wasnt a slam, then it was disparaging words you chose to used . And its really pretty unnecessary . Both have/and will contribute greatly to the Corvette , and id encourage you to appreciate them and their efforts and stop resorting to a harsh comparison .. which is only your subjective opinion . Thanks. I dont think there is any room in the Corvette hobby to be speaking down about its Designers/Engineers , and it shows poor taste when one does it. That includes any magazine articles too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
SwaveDave said:
''So don't think he is bean counter, Tom is a racer and unlike Dave Hill (who never owned a Corvette til GM gave him one) Tom knows how to go fast and be reliable
'

You : It wasnt a slam.

ME: IF it wasnt a slam, then it was disparaging words you chose to used . And its really pretty unnecessary . Both have/and will contribute greatly to the Corvette , and id encourage you to appreciate them and their efforts and stop resorting to a harsh comparison .. which is only your subjective opinion . Thanks. I dont think there is any room in the Corvette hobby to be speaking down about its Designers/Engineers , and it shows poor taste when one does it. That includes any magazine articles too.
Who crawled up yours and died? Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and who are you to lecture? Jeez, chill out. It's only an opinion about a couple people we really don't know, so it's no big deal. I'm sure Dave isn't losing sleep over it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
vettewarehou said:
By the way - any1 knows why Dave Hill left?
he was in his 60s and any one that works passed that age is a fool. i retired at 60 12 years ago and the best move of my life next to marrying my wife of 47 years. why wait to collect your SS checks because you have to live 14 years longer to make up the difference in money you get between 62 to 65 if you wait till you are 65. every one asked what do you do all day and my reply is "i do not know how i had time to go to work before"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.