Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I pulled my plugs today to swap headers and noticed one plug had a lot bigger gap than the rest. At first I thought it had worn away that much but on closer examination it looks like the porcelain just pushed through the metal part. :surprised

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I had heard once a long time ago that champion plugs were notorious for that.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Once had a Champion plug lose the whole end- electrode AND insulator into the cylinder. Uglleee

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am not surprised. I would not run Champions in my lawn mower (if I had a power lawnmower, which I don't). I have seen WAY to many instances of them being bad brand new out of the box, as well as just very bad quality control. I think the last time I ran a Champion plug was around 1980. I run NGK now, or Bosch, although I preferred Accel in my Harleys. Haven't had bad luck with AC, but they seem to foul quicker. (That could be operator error...but still....)
Champion plugs are junk, count yourself lucky if that was all the problem......
(Oh, I think I might have a Champion plug capping the hole in my old Barnett spark plug cleaner, to keep dirt out, but I haven't actully even used that since I sold my last shovelhead 6 years ago....)

John

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I guess the concensus is the Champion plugs are junk. I'm going to pick up some NGK XR5 plugs tonight.

The engine is carburated.

I assume the appearance of the plug on the left was caused by the excessive gap. All the rest of the plugs looked fine. I guess it is a testament to the MSD ignition that I never noticed an engine miss.

Thanks for all the input. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts