Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out for the Black Hills Corvette Classic in South Dakota next Wednesday, anyone else going? Beautiful scenery and awesome roads to drive on out there. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are leaving for Sioux Falls next Wed. morning. My wife and I will be driving one of the 2007 pace cars with Wisconsin plates. We will be joined by my son and daughter in law driving a 2004 Med. spiral grey coupe, also with Wisconsin plates. We will look for your '08 machine silver coupe in Sioux Falls for the "Hot Summer Nights" dowwntown car show Wed. night.

Enjoy :cheers:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are leaving for Sioux Falls next Wed. morning. My wife and I will be driving one of the 2007 pace cars with Wisconsin plates. We will be joined by my son and daughter in law driving a 2004 Med. spiral grey coupe, also with Wisconsin plates. We will look for your '08 machine silver coupe in Sioux Falls for the "Hot Summer Nights" dowwntown car show Wed. night.

Enjoy :cheers:
Cool, I'll look for your pace car, shouldn't be many of those around!! Easy to spot mine with the sharks tooth grill. :D

·
996 Posts
I wish that I could go, I know my location says Rapid City, but I am in LA for the summer.

If you want to know where the great roads are just PM me. I have spent lots of time on those roads in my vette and my friends camaro.

If you leave Rapid City at about 11pm the roads will be yours for the taking. I have gone many nights were I average about 90-100 mph around there and don't see another person let alone a cop.

I also highly suggest hitting up Custer State Park at sunrise, again the roads are clear, the temperature is low, and the view is beautiful.

Have fun.. and if you have a good radar detector you should be able to average at least 90mph across South Dakota with out any problems from the cops. I usually pick them up about 4 miles away with my 8500 x50.

·
996 Posts
I started to write this in a PM and decided that I should just post it so all that are interested can see.

The best route though Custer is to enter on Hwy 16 from Keystone and then follow 16 through to 87 North (needles Hwy).

Another great road to go on if you have the time is Spearfish Canyon Hwy (Hwy 14A out of Spearfish). Then to get back to Rapid you would follow 14A to Lead, then take 385 to either Nemo Road, or Hwy 44 (both lead back to Rapid).

Those are the two best roads to go on if you want a great road with great scenery.

If you just want to tare down some curving roads you have a few more choices.

When I would go out for drives at night I would make a small loop through the hills on a few main Hwy's. If you look at a map you can see that Nemo Rd. (S. Canyon Rd.), Hwy 44, and Sheridan lake Rd. all come out of Rapid city and connect to Hwy 385. There is also a great road called "Norris Peak Rd" that connects from Nemo Rd. to Hwy 44.
If you have a map with you I would locate those road and highlight them. You will then be able to visualize the "loops" through the hills I am referring too.

So for instance if I wanted to go for a 35-45 minute drive I would leave on W. Main out of Rapid that then turns into Nemo Rd., I would turn off Nemo Rd. onto Norris Peak Rd., take Norris Peak Rd. to Hwy 44 East and then come back to Rapid.
Or if I felt like driving more I would take Hwy 44 west to 385, then take 385 south to Sheridan Lake Rd. and then take Sheridan Lake Rd. back into Rapid.

Here is a map of the route I described.

The two best roads you probably wont see right away on the map are Norris Peak Rd. and Sheridan Lake Rd. , those are two of my favorite roads, and if you are pushing your car a little bit you could probably average around 50-60 mph on those roads.
Hwy 44 and 385 are more or less just connecting roads. They are more populated and less curvy. If you have the road to yourself you could average 80+ on those roads with out much trouble.

Also, if you are taking Hwy 44 out of Rapid and want to take Norris Peak Rd. back to Nemo, the turn off onto Norris Peak Rd. from Hwy 44 is kinda hard to see. When you come to the town of Rimrock (called Johnson Siding on Google Maps for some reason) you will see a church on your right, turn right immediately after the church and before the fire station.

A must drive on road IN Rapid is Skyline Drive (aka Dinosaur Hill). The best way to get to that is take Quincy St. from Mt. Rushmore Rd. When you get the end of that road if will curve hard to the left into a "T" if you turn right you will go to Hwy 16 (Mt. Rushmore Rd.), if you turn left you will go back down the Hill on a different route and end up back in Rapid.

One last thing, most of these roads are residential and therefor populated with soccer moms and the elderly during the day. If you want to push your car at all you will want to leave town after 10-11pm.

Have fun and Stay Safe :partyon:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot, I appreciate that. I've printed them out so ready to rock and roll. :thumbsup: :spanked:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife and I will be there. Were leaving tomorrow morning and should be in Sioux Falls by noon. We plan on screwing around town for awhile before we hit downtown. We'll be staying at the Holiday Inn downtown.

01 Triple Black Vert. "TOY4TWO"

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't remember where we are staying in Sioux Falls tomorrow night, info is at home but I'll keep an eye out for your car. Have fun!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts