Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of any good place to get twin turbos setups for a C5, I plan on putting a twin turbo set up in a C5, not stock though...... got a set up idea, like to hear it?.... here it goes. Iron block probably LQ9 truck block, bored and stroked to 383, or maybe 427, titanium rods, forged low compression pistons, beehive valve springs, 1.8 rockers, havent figured out yet to use flat solid or hydraulic lifters yet, I know the obvious answer is hydraulics but flats are lighter allowing higher rpm, AFR Heads, Fast or TnT throttle body, Twin turbos and maybe a small shot of nitrous just in case of an emergency, some long tube headers, and open up the exhause, and an exhaust cutout switch, 3.73 or 4.11 rearend, no idea for the xmsn or tq converter, but hear good things about TCI, and of course an upgraded ignition but that is a whole other thread............ well tell me what you guys think, and all your input is appreciated this will be my first engine or car build up but I have been doing a lot of studying........ and oh yeah this is gonna be my daily driver. :WTF

LOL, Just Kidding, it will probably end up seeing a lot of track time, and some street time on the weekends :surprised

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,435 Posts
Your not going to let any dust settle on your checkbook, that's for sure :laughing: As far as the TT setup, check with several of our site supporters, They have the TT setup and plenty of other parts for your buildup

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Torch said:
Your not going to let any dust settle on your checkbook, that's for sure :laughing: As far as the TT setup, check with several of our site supporters, They have the TT setup and plenty of other parts for your buildup

Yes... I know you're right about that, it's gonna be some buck, I'll ask more about the turbos. I figure the turbos alone maybe 5-6k each, and the engine, maybe 9k, but that's why I'm working in this shithole they like to call Iraq, so I can play with my toys when I get home. :toilet

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jetz for the link, I am defintly contemplating keeping my c6 and just throwing tt's on it, bolt on 700hp, can't beat that, now only thing is the price, and warranty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Long tube headers? Do you know anything about turbo setups?

Mark

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
mdhmi said:
Long tube headers? Do you know anything about turbo setups?

Mark
in his defense, LT headers can be used with an STS-style TT setup. What if he was looking for something like that?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lehmannhenry said:
in his defense, LT headers can be used with an STS-style TT setup. What if he was looking for something like that?
Yes... I know they usually come with their own headers.. or downpipes to reroute the exhaust back to the turbine, but there isn't a such thing as aftermarket parts???? I'm sure somebody makes something better than the cast iron headers they usually come with... unless I'm just stuck with whatever headers comes with the kit but I think not. So why don't you drop some knowledge for us on turbos.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Which turbo kit are you looking at purchasing? Most turbo kits come with custom manifolds, piping, etc.

Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mdhmi said:
Which turbo kit are you looking at purchasing? Most turbo kits come with custom manifolds, piping, etc.

Mark
best one so far is from hp performance it's a APS tt setup I think it's the one Jetz is talking about or maybe an sts cause I might pack the engine comparment full of displacment, stage 3 runs around 12k not including all the interals I would have to change, bigger brakes, oil coolers etc, and there are turbos you can mount all the way by the mufflers here's a link where somebody used them with long tube headers all you would have to do is route a pipe from the rear mounted turbo to the turbine no need for headers with downpipes...... see how much you can learn from these forums, now you know you can use long tube or any other kind of headers with a turbo setup http://www.ststurbo.com/sound_video_clips :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I seen and heard many many good things about Supercar Tuning Center's turbo setups. They are based in Elk Grove Village, IL. www.supercartuningcenter.com is the website I believe. Ask for Marco and tell him Nik from Rockford sent you. If you don't like their setup then look into stc turbo's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DarkC5 said:
I seen and heard many many good things about Supercar Tuning Center's turbo setups. They are based in Elk Grove Village, IL. www.supercartuningcenter.com is the website I believe. Ask for Marco and tell him Nik from Rockford sent you. If you don't like their setup then look into stc turbo's.
thanks for the link, I checked out the website but it didn't have any details about the setup, the first page shows the bi turbo system for the corvette but you can get any specs or more info on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would also add the TTi Stage X to your search list. That is what I along with dozens of others run. The kit will support 800+ rwhp on stock cubes. Very stealth and tons of power.

Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mdhmi said:
I would also add the TTi Stage X to your search list. That is what I along with dozens of others run. The kit will support 800+ rwhp on stock cubes. Very stealth and tons of power.

Mark
HEY, thanks for the link man, it might be just what I was looking for. I seen the almost exact same sutup for an aps system but it ran around 12K. But what do they mean by the system will support 850HP? do they mean that's what it will produce with stock cubes?? cause like I said I'm gonna get a 427 stroker kit, and then throw the turbos on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It means that customers (and I know the guy personally) ran that power level on stock cubes. Having a 427 isn't going to buy you any extra power. All it's going to do is help spool the turbos a little quicker. Basically your power band starts a little earlier with a larger cube motor.

To give you an example of what the X kit can do one of the guys in the metro area ran 10.2 @ 140 last week on relatively low boost and pump gas through a stock Z06 exhaust. That's with stock cubes.

Another gentlement with the same turbo kit (brand new motor on the break in tune) went 11's on street street spinning all the way down the track and smacking the rev limiter and still trapped near 136 MPH.

These numbers were run at a track in the Detroit area (hint - we're no where near sea level).

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I would need bigger turbos to run more horses right? but with the same turbos and bigger displacement your et should go down cause you'll get full boost quicker.... is that the theory?

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's basically the theory, although the standard T3/T4 hybrids that come with the X kit can support a larger cube motor. There was an example of someone recently with the X kit on a 408 iron block. They dynoed somewhere around 900 rwhp. The clutch and the dyno couldn't hold any more power.

So I suppose you can make a little more power, allbeit expensively, relatively to stock cubes at higher boost.

I can tell you from personal experience that you reach a power level where extra power makes your car slower, not faster because of traction problems. You're going to max DR's on the street before the turbos..

Do you have a particular 1/4 mile goal?

Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mdhmi said:
That's basically the theory, although the standard T3/T4 hybrids that come with the X kit can support a larger cube motor. There was an example of someone recently with the X kit on a 408 iron block. They dynoed somewhere around 900 rwhp. The clutch and the dyno couldn't hold any more power.

So I suppose you can make a little more power, allbeit expensively, relatively to stock cubes at higher boost.

I can tell you from personal experience that you reach a power level where extra power makes your car slower, not faster because of traction problems. You're going to max DR's on the street before the turbos..

Do you have a particular 1/4 mile goal?

Mark
haven't been to the track yet cause I been working in Iraq but by the time I get into it I wanna work my way into the 8's .I know the tires can only hold a certain amount of HP before they start spinning, how much HP is your ride and what is your et? u have the X kit? how much HP do you think it would take to get in the 8's with the right traction and gears?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been running a Stage X kit with low boost and a soft tune on a stock bottom end. 600-650 rwhp. No track times yet. Coming soon with the new motor combo (forged 346).

If 8's is your honest goal you're going to end up spending more on driveline upgrades than your turbo kit. Have you seen Paul_Z06's car? That is a great example of what it takes to get into the 8's and stay there without ongoing driveline breakage.

Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts