Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,527 Posts
Looks to me like it would be a side step. If you had a coupe/vert with an LS1 and the engine went south, why not replace it with an LS6? Then it is a direct replacement with more hp and everything will match up

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, and the LS2 has relocated sensors and a different number of teeth on the reluctor wheel making it necessary to modify the harness and either replace the crank with a LS1, or use a different computer.

HOWEVER, the LS2 will produce more power than the LS6 with the same type of mods...and the larger bore makes it possible to run a whole other set of heads that are not compatable with the LS6 motor.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Sounds to me like someone is batting around the idea of another project.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The deal is, I have just installed a new crate LS2 in my 1985 Corvette. I am trying to weed through all the static about the accessories as the C6 a/c compressor will NOT fit in the C4 frame rail...but the C5 will based on how the ports come out of the unit. The C6 shoots out the side and the C5 out the rear.

So...that leaves me scratching my head. Do I use all LS2 Vette accessories and swap the compressor - or do I just put all C5 accessories on????

I know somebody out there has already run into this with a C5 upgraded to a LS2....Now I just need them to chime in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The deal is, I have just installed a new crate LS2 in my 1985 Corvette. I am trying to weed through all the static about the accessories as the C6 a/c compressor will NOT fit in the C4 frame rail...but the C5 will based on how the ports come out of the unit. The C6 shoots out the side and the C5 out the rear.

So...that leaves me scratching my head. Do I use all LS2 Vette accessories and swap the compressor - or do I just put all C5 accessories on????

I know somebody out there has already run into this with a C5 upgraded to a LS2....Now I just need them to chime in.
There is not a lot of changes needed to mount an LS2 into a C5.

Shave off the mounting stud so that you can get the motor mounts on. Use a reluctor wheel from an earlier motor 2005 and prior. Buy the various harness adapters from Katech or a similar supplier and poof your in.

There has been a lot of post over in CF on this subject.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is not a lot of changes needed to mount an LS2 into a C5.

Shave off the mounting stud so that you can get the motor mounts on. Use a reluctor wheel from an earlier motor 2005 and prior. Buy the various harness adapters from Katech or a similar supplier and poof your in.

There has been a lot of post over in CF on this subject.

Tell me more about shaving the mounting stud. I used a LS1 to mock the install on my 85 vette with C5 mount stands. The LS2 came with new mount stands which visually look the same as the LS1, and I simply reused them.

So I'm confused about that one.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man.

I still don't understand shaving the stud. I have looked at both my Ls1 and 2 and each mount bracket...and just don't get it. It obviously isn't and issue for my application at this time anyway, but is interesting to me.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay guys...you were right. I just wrapped up yesterday putting all the C5 front accessories on my LS2 that is sitting in a 85 Vette.

I ended up damaging the 2nd new pulley for the power steering. The first one was shattered in shipping, and the second one I popped a side out of it while trying to get one of the captive bracket bolts in place.

Anyway...it all slid right on there perfectly - and the C5 a/c system was required to clear the frame rails in the C4.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts