Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting new tires. The local shop had a good deal going on some that are 235/60 15. I thought great, a wider tire, but it doesnt completely cover the rim. They said there is no rim guard on the tire so I said I would rather have the OE spec tires from firestone. They put one on and it still didnt cover the whole rim so whats going on? Do you have to purchase the BF goodrich tires? Has anyone else had this problem? should I use this as an excuse to get new wheels? lol. Also, should the wider tire be better for performance? they are a little shorter but I figured wider might be better? sorry for all the questions, thanks!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have BFG Radial T/As in 235/60/15 on the stock 8" wide wheels on the front and they fit fine. Been on for 5 years or more.

The BFG chart shows a wheel width of 6.5" to 8.5" for this tire.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
What size rims are you using? :huh:

What 15" tires have rim guards???? :huh:

Besides that, a 235/60 is a tiny tire. It is shorter and more narrow than a stock sized tire.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Rim Guard = thick strip of rubber used to protect the rim from curb scuffing.

You don't need a rim guard for steel wheels, especially 15" ones with trim rings that will stick out past the rim guards anyway. Really with 15s don't need em in general unless you're letting somebody drive it that finds the curb by feel.

Stock tires are skinny and make the rims look too wide, and the 235s aren't really any wider, and they're definitely shorter. 60 is the height percentage, not +1 width. Are you falling into the old trap of thinking that "60s are wide"???

Stepping up to a 245 will make the majority of your gripes disappear, and is probably what you've got pictured in your head as the stock tire. 235/60s just don't have enough sidewall height or width to fit a 15X8 properly without looking goofy. The small amount of gain going to a 245 makes all the difference. If you had 7 inch rims the 235/60s would look great.

Good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rim size is stock 15x8. The original tires that I had on the car are 225 70 15. The tire place said that if I wanted to go wider they had a 235 60 15 so the first number would be the width and the second would be the height correct? Therefore these tires should be just a bit wider but a little shorter as well. It seems to me that even if it is a little wider but is shorter that any gain from the width would be negated by the shorter height, which would allow for less flex in the sidewall. Does all of this sound right?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The rim size is stock 15x8. The original tires that I had on the car are 225 70 15. The tire place said that if I wanted to go wider they had a 235 60 15 so the first number would be the width and the second would be the height correct? Therefore these tires should be just a bit wider but a little shorter as well. It seems to me that even if it is a little wider but is shorter that any gain from the width would be negated by the shorter height, which would allow for less flex in the sidewall. Does all of this sound right?
225/70???? Really? :thud:
Most Schwinns come with that size. :laughing:

Like said above....235 is to narrow.
Are you sure they are 235/60? Tire rack does not even show that as an available size? Are these a discontinued tire? Did you check DOT dates?

If you want a 60 series to reduce sidewall flex, go with a 245/60 or 255/60 on the 8" rim.

Study this...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs

The measured rim width is generally the "ideal" width for said tire. Any rim wider than this will tend to make the tire look stretched out. Any rim more narrow, will make the tire look ballooned. Just because a tire manufacturer states that a tire may fit a rim range of say 6"-8", does not mean it will look or perform the best on that 8" rim, it just means that it will mount safely.

Different brands use different molds also. The same size tire may look different when mounted based on the mold used.

Also-Running a 235/60 (short tire) will mess with your gearing RPM as well as your speedo. :down:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
225s are comparable to stock sizes. The tread width is 225mm wide. A 235 has a tread patch 10mm wider than a 225.

60 and 70 are aspect sizes. A 70 series tire has a side wall measuring 70% of the tread width; 60% for a 60 series tire.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Does all of this sound right?

If sounding right trumped looking right would you be asking the question?? :D

My 75 runs 255 60s and it's the size they should've come with. There is a smidge of frame rub at full lock but no body rub, they're close to stock height, just wider.

Unless your car is lowered, shorter tires will look goofy, with our wheelewells there's no need to shorten the sidewall height til you start approaching/exceeding 275 widths.

Ya gotta get ya sum meats man!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but here are a few facts, as best as I can figure from "The Corvette Black Book". Standard tires from 73 to 77 were G70-15s. This is equivalent to a 225/70/15. From 78 to 82, these tires were known by the 225/70/15 name. Optional tires from 78 to 82 were white-letter 225/70/15 or 255/60/15. The OD of a 225/70/15 is 27.4", 235/60/15 is 26.1" and a 255/60/15 is 26.8".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts