Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, I was able to do some research on my dad's '59, and found out that he remembered selling it to someone named Ray Marsh in the DE/MD/PA area. According to what he remembers, the guy bought the car, titled it "Mister Twister", and set it up for track racing- He believes the car only survived one pass down the track at Cecil Dragway, as the driver's chute didn't open, sending him into the trees. Is anyone familiar with the name of the car or the driver?

Thanks in advance,

CHEV66JB

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!

Is this your car???????

"This was another local guy out of Newport, Delaware, named Ray Marsh. A blown 327 Chevy with a four speed. This was a wild ride. It was, in the infinitely difficult to understand NHRA classification system in those days, in the Modified Sports Car class. But to me it was a gasser."

Check out..... --->

http://www.gassermadness.com/sewell/

http://www.nhra.com/50th/news/?story=79

http://www.draglist.com/hill/sixtiesfuelers.htm

Ray Marsh was a drag racer in the late 50's to early 70's. Lots of info can be found on him on the web. Let me know if you want some more links.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re:

I called my father, and he is on the road right now, but that car is most definitely HIS. I told him the top, the owner, the condition, etc, and he said that he had had an accident with it while he was driving it and the rear was cracked, so Ray upon buying it put a new rear clip on it (as you can see in the pic). WHAT A DAY!!!!! Thanks so much Patrick!!!

Jim (CHEV66JB)

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Re:

CHEV66JB said:
I called my father, and he is on the road right now, but that car is most definitely HIS. I told him the top, the owner, the condition, etc, and he said that he had had an accident with it while he was driving it and the rear was cracked, so Ray upon buying it put a new rear clip on it (as you can see in the pic). WHAT A DAY!!!!! Thanks so much Patrick!!!

Jim (CHEV66JB)
:cheers:

AWESOME! This made my day!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Thats pretty wild, keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re:

Patrick,

Can you send me some more links on Ray Marsh? I am trying like crazy to pin down if he is still around- a friend has enticed me to see if the guy still lives in my area.

Jim (CHEV66JB)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re:

I found out, sadly, that the owner is no longer with us- From what I can gather, he died while racing dragsters in the early 70's... However, I am trying to find out if the car is still in the area- Wouldn't that be something??

Jim (CHEV66JB)

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Re:

CHEV66JB said:
I found out, sadly, that the owner is no longer with us- From what I can gather, he died while racing dragsters in the early 70's... However, I am trying to find out if the car is still in the area- Wouldn't that be something??

Jim (CHEV66JB)
Hey Jim! I'd be glad to help you dig deeper on this. I'd be a riot if we tracked down the car.

Things are going to be a bit NUTS this week with work, but I suspect in 3-4 days I'll have the time. :partyon:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re:

No problem at all Patrick- Just seeing that pic was surprise enough for this week! I'm in no hurry. Thanks again for your help-

Jim (CHEV66JB)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts