Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the story...

I am currently building a 1966 GTO, with a 1972, race prepped 455 Pontiac (Edelbrock Ram Air IV heads with round exhaust ports). I have built several classic muscle cars (all GM A-body cars) and so I have run the gamut of different header manufacturers and constructions; Flowtech, Hooker, Headmen, Dynatech, plain steel and ceramic coated. So far, everything I've tried has SUCKED! Plain steel headers last 2 years if you’re lucky and the ceramic coated headers had their ceramic coating start to flake off after 6 months; not to mention that after being exposed to high temperatures, the ceramic started to develop rust spots WITHOUT THE CERAMIC FLAKING OFF BUT ACTUALLY THROUGH IT!

That being said, as I was deciding how to build this car, I knew in my mind that I wanted Stainless Steel headers. The down side is that none of the standard header companies make S.S. headers for a 1966 GTO…unless you are going to put a Chevy in it. That’s a negative. So one day a few weeks ago, I'm eBay searching headers for the car and I see a listing for OBX headers for my year GTO. Hmmmm, I read the article, and guess what?! They say they're made of stainless steel. Not only that, they have a buy it now price of $250, and they are brand new! I thought this is too good to be true as a set of ceramic coated Hooker Headers or Doug's Headers were going to run me about $750.

So I figured what the hell, its only $250. I bought them and was expecting the worst given the low low price. I got them the other night and boy was I wrong. From appearances, these are the nicest headers I have ever purchased. They are in-fact 304 S.S., (as was my first concern) and they have a really beautiful semi-polished finish. The steel is a heavy gauge, much thicker than any headers I have used before (the flange is 3/8" thick for gods sake, and straight as an arrow, no warping). All the welds are clean and they look very well built.

Yet, there is still that issue of the cheap price, so I am waiting for the other foot to drop. I won’t be installing these in the car for about another 2-3 months. That being the case, has anyone ever installed a set of OBX headers (on any car)? Are these headers going to be a terrible fit? Are they going to last? They sure are beautiful to look at; I would just like to know what I am in for during the installation and operation phases. For the record, I did find one company that said they would make me a set of SS headers, but I would have to supply them with a set of template headers (so I’d have to buy a second set), and they alone would charge almost $2K. If these OBX headers fit with no or only minor modifications required, I will consider myself way ahead.

Lastly, incase anyone is wondering, yes I still have my C6 and I just got to take it out for the first time in 2 months this week. You have no idea how much you miss a car until you have been forced to drive something with an automatic transmission for an extend period of time. I love my classis muscle cars, but still, my C6 = awesome!

·
Registered
798 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts