Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since My clutch was installed incorrectly race proven motorsports, after 1 track rental it was pretty much wrecked, I had it sent out to RPS for them to look at and or rebuild it. That was one of the top selling points for me especially when it comes with a price tag $1600-$2000 plus depending on what model you buy and where you get it.
So here it is..... $1020.00 to rebuild it. :thud:I thought that was bananas:WTF what do you think? It is a great clutch But Jesus!:down:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Since My clutch was installed incorrectly race proven motorsports, after 1 track rental it was pretty much wrecked, I had it sent out to RPS for them to look at and or rebuild it. That was one of the top selling points for me especially when it comes with a price tag $1600-$2000 plus depending on what model you buy and where you get it.
So here it is..... $1020.00 to rebuild it. :thud:I thought that was bananas:WTF what do you think? It is a great clutch But Jesus!:down:
I hope you find a big pot of good luck soon Mike:cheers: That's more than I would have guessed a rebuild would cost and what did they say needs to be rebuilt on it? Everything?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too Frank.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Learn to do your own work,

I had nothing but problems with "The pro's" when I was a kid,

Now I do all my own work:nuts:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahaha installed incorrectly? Your right it was the first clutch i ever put in.
WHY DID IT ONLY LAST I DAY AT THE TRACK? JUST LIKE THAT RED POS WENT 8S RIGHT LOL YOUR A CLOWN AND A FRAUD WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT TT VETTE? YOU BLEW MY MOTOR UP AND NOW ANOTHER? LOL:buhbye:

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Mike,

Does Katech make a version of the ZR1 clutch for your setup? Seems guys are running the ZR1 clutch on the higher end hp vettes.

Something to consider instead of repairing the one that was damaged? Not sure, but its a thought.:D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Mama always said...aftermarket clutches are like a box of chocolate...you never know what you'll get.:lookinup::smack

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mike,

Does Katech make a version of the ZR1 clutch for your setup? Seems guys are running the ZR1 clutch on the higher end hp vettes.

Something to consider instead of repairing the one that was damaged? Not sure, but its a thought.:D
They do, and it is a great street clutch, but it is still an OEM clutch so with that perfect street driveability comes an organic friction surface that doesn't do that great on the drag strip.
I have an RPS Carbon twin and it is a decent compromise between a clutch that does great on the drag strip and drives OK on the street, but it does chatter a bit on takeoff. Since I don't drag race very often I may go with a ZR1 clutch on my next build.

Also,

Learn to do your own work
:agree: . Its a one man job...

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Dont buy another rps clutch

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO WITH ANOTHER CLUTCH......RPS IS A JOKE :down:

I purchased a RPS Twin Disk Clutch rated for 700hp...I have only 535hp A&A Supercharged motor and this clutch lasted all of 600 miles....No hard launches at all. The owner of RPS claimed that damage to the clutch was abuse by me.....PLEASE

Customer service is non-existent with this company!!!!!

I will followup with more information from my tuner and the emails between him and RPS:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Do you have torque wrench? :smack:D
Mike should take his car back to CoW...my bet would be that Chuck will tell him he can fix his clutch by installing 4.10 gears.:D:laughing::rolling:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been working with the guys at RPS on the clutches and more specifically the install of them.

The clutch itself seems like a pretty good unit, especially the billet versions but you have to make darn sure it is installed right. You can not put them in with the stock slave and throwout how the car comes from GM, if so it will eat itself alive in no time.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO WITH ANOTHER CLUTCH......RPS IS A JOKE :down:

I purchased a RPS Twin Disk Clutch rated for 700hp...I have only 535hp A&A Supercharged motor and this clutch lasted all of 600 miles....No hard launches at all. The owner of RPS claimed that damage to the clutch was abuse by me.....PLEASE

Customer service is non-existent with this company!!!!!

I will followup with more information from my tuner and the emails between him and RPS:thumbsup:
I wrote them a detailed letter they never responded:down:

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have used the RPS BC2 with great success. This clutch has sustained launches above 6000 rpm, has been driven over 16,000 miles, and has cut 60's in the mid 1.3s. Our last 4 passes were 1.41, 1.41, 1.35, and 1.38 respectively. IOHO, this is the best Street/Strip clutch for our cars.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
We have used the RPS BC2 with great success. This clutch has sustained launches above 6000 rpm, has been driven over 16,000 miles, and has cut 60's in the mid 1.3s. Our last 4 passes were 1.41, 1.41, 1.35, and 1.38 respectively. IOHO, this is the best Street/Strip clutch for our cars.
i told a guy that just today:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
i told a guy that just today:thumbsup:
Hey Dennis,
When will you be out racing again. You could join us at the Corvette Challenge. However, that may be a bad iodea since you would put a whooping on most of us. :thud: Second thought, maybe we'll see you at Atco. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts