Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im kicking the idea around of getting a new M3, I would not get the Z06 if I decide to go this route, I would most likely get rid of my CL Type S in another 6-8 months and buy the M3 for my everyday car, I drive alot of miles for work so I know I would enjoy the car quite a bit but Im just wondering if anyone here has experience with one of these cars and what they think of it. Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
0 Posts
MVR 155 said:
Im kicking the idea around of getting a new M3, I would not get the Z06 if I decide to go this route, I would most likely get rid of my CL Type S in another 6-8 months and buy the M3 for my everyday car, I drive alot of miles for work so I know I would enjoy the car quite a bit but Im just wondering if anyone here has experience with one of these cars and what they think of it. Thanks

Mike
I love bmw's....M-3's are nice but I have never owned one. I have street killed plenty though!:D

G

·
I do believe I have heard on other forums that BMW was having quite a few problems with blown M3 motors. I would do some heavy duty research before I pulled the trigger if I was you. Try surfing the BMW forums and ask questions about it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I think that was blown M5 motors. When I worked at the BMW dealership they had just came out with the M5 with the sequential shift tranny or the auto shift and it wouldn't shift right. It would make the motors rev high and blow them frying motor and tranny. I think it came down to defective computer modules.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
M3 motors were blowing yet BMW has been fixing them and offering 100.000 mile warranty on them

M3 sequential shifter is a favorite of mine.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I say go for a M3. I would say its more of an everyday driver then a Z. But its all downb to what you want.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Who says you can't drive a Z06 year round? But, you can drive a sweet BMW year round? Doesn't make any sense to me.

The BMW is nice, but I don't think it'll satisify that craving you have for acceleration.

I dunno. Just not sure about this one. The BMW will give you ooo's and ahh's for the first 6 months of ownership, and once the newness wear's off and spring turns to summer.... I think you'll be wishing for that Z06.:smokin:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

The BMW is nice, but I don't think it'll satisify that craving you have for acceleration.

Acceleration? M3's 0-60 is 4.8 seconds
Z06 0-60 4.5 seconds.

I think thats close enough. The Quality of the Bmw I think is better then the Vettes. The M3 also has a trunk and a back seat. They are both Performance powerhouses. It all comes down to preference.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a tough decision, the M3 is quality and refinement throughout but sure it dont quite have the raw performance that the Z06 would, if I wait a bit I can get the Z06 and keep the CL type S (even though its gonna be a bit more than I want to be throwing out in the form of car payments) The Acura is a great everyday car as well but it doesnt quite satisfy the need for an all out everyday performer (not to mention I like rear drive cars). I like BLM's suggestion about doing some serious research and maybe talking to some owners via the different forums.

Patrick, I agree that a Z06 can be used for every day but I do drive people around from time to time and I do need some trunk space so it kind of rules it out for an only car, I dont think I can drive a car for everyday without navigation either (I use it everyday for work and it saves a ton of time and is way safer then staring down at a map book) spoiled after having it in the Acrua.

Thanks a bunch for all the responses guys :)

Mike

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Loggins1 said:
Z06 0-60 4.5 seconds.

I think thats close enough. The Quality of the Bmw I think is better then the Vettes. The M3 also has a trunk and a back seat. They are both Performance powerhouses. It all comes down to preference.
The Z06 and the Vert both have a trunk.

Adam, have you been in the back seat of ANY recent 3-series BMW? My kids would barely fit, much less a grown adult. I think that seat is there for the insurance reduction potential. It won't handle as well if for no other reason than the center of gravity is higher than the Z's.

Still like'em though.

Hopefully the quality issue will be addressed with the C6's release. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
bkuper said:
The Z06 and the Vert both have a trunk.

Adam, have you been in the back seat of ANY recent 3-series BMW? My kids would barely fit, much less a grown adult. I think that seat is there for the insurance reduction potential. It won't handle as well if for no other reason than the center of gravity is higher than the Z's.

Still like'em though.

Hopefully the quality issue will be addressed with the C6's release. :thumbsup:
The Trunk in my moms BMW is bigger then a Z06's by far. Yes ive been in the back seat of my moms Car and its not bad and im 6'2. Nothing like the front but still fine. But one thing i do agree on is the C6. It hopefully will be made with European standerds.:thumbsup:

Heres a pic of my moms car.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Loggins1 said:
Z06 0-60 4.5 seconds.
that's as close as the BMW would ever get,in the mid-range and top end,the Z would slaughter the M-3.like 84 gransport said,i killed a couple on the street.
my friend Doug has a 99.nickname(slow-pig).14.9 at the track.i'm sure the newer one's are better,the front of his car has a zillion rock chip's,has rattle's and leak's on the passenger side door,in the front.to each his own,but there's doctor's were i work that have Z06's,Ferrari's etc for daily driver's.i used to drive mine daily,but people hit it in the parking lot sometime's,so now i drive a saturn for work.just my thought's.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts