Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to just run 6.5" coaxials in the doors and 6x9's in the rear of my car run off of deck power. I've heard so many success stories from guys with early C4's doing this and then just running a nice 10" sub with a small amp. I'll try my 12" first of course, but I have a feeling that it will be too much, as it made quite a substatial boom last time I used it. Anyone here ever used deck power and had a really nice system? My deck will put out 30 watts RMS into 4 channels and has time delay, a built in EQ, etc, so it should run 4 speakers decent enough. My old 18 watts per channel RMS deck still does the trick in the charger, so I guess this setup will work in the vette. All this time the simplest setup was the one I was looking for, It just took some time to realize it.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have an Alpine that puts out 60 Watts per channel and I run my doors and rear 6 x 9's off it. It's pretty loud too.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I wanted to hear! My deck is rated at 60x4 and thats what I'm going to be running off of it. Perfection! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is true that you can run your mids and highs off of the radio power. And it will work be enough for many people. But you will not get the headroom that you would with an amplifier. It is true that indash radios do make more power than they used to BUT take notice of the size of the power wire going to the radio. Then take notice of the size of the power wire required to make a 60X4 amp to run according to the manufatures specs. There is a simple rule....it takes power to make power. So how is something that is that is very small (the built in amp on the radio) and only has a 18ga power wire, going to make the same power as something that is 10 times its' size and uses a 8ga power and ground wire? Just something to think about. Good luck with your systems.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of power and outboard amps are nice Eatrice. And I've sat in many sound quality competition cars that were just like a concert hall inside with the most perfect of clarity and imaging. But there is a drawback. A Corvette is a sports car. It's small, light, fast and agile. Big stereos add lots of weight and lots of big components that are not easy to disguise. I did the big stereo thing this summer, and I was just as happy with my old Dodge with a pair of 5x7's in the rear shelf and 3.5's in the dash all run off 40x4 deck power. It took a lot of time and money to realize that all I really need is 4 speakers run off the deck and a small sub and a small amp to make me happy. All I got out of the big stereo was an empty wallet, a slow car and the constant worry of theft, but thats just me. But like you say Eatrice, just because it says 60x4, doesn't mean it has to put out 60x4. Once I get a newer daily driver, I may consider going all out, but for the Vette, I think it's just fine with deck power. After all, even the wimpiest of amps can satisfy my needs when the farthest speaker from my ear is about 3 feet away. I'll never badmouth anyone for going all out on a system, because I happen to love the things. I just want to try and balance a stock look, performance and affordability inside the shell of my car. And to all of you that run mega wattage and countless speakers, stick with it. It's a great hobby and car audio folks are some of the best people around. They rank right up there with Vette guys in my books. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey I am not knocking deck power. I believe in to each his own as long as you don't try to shove it down my throat. :) All I wanted to point out is that a high power radio is not a replacement for an amplifier. I am a professional car audio guy/fabricator so to me my vette has to rock.....the 600+ to the tires will take car of the speed part. :) But I do agree with where you are coming from and I really believe that the audio system needs to compliment the car. I will post pictures of my car as I finish each section but to give you an idea I have MB Quart 8" 4" and tweet in each door behind the factory grill. They are mounted on an aluminum plate I made. I am using either one or two Kicker tens in a carbon fiber enclosure. To me I have to have the tunes and yes it adds weight but it can be put on a diet.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I really believe that the audio system needs to compliment the car". You've hit the nail right on the head with that line. Corvette. Hmmmm. Unique, Sleek, Mean, Quality. Hmmm. I think I may just have to dust off my other amp yet...... Oh well. It only weighs like 5 lbs anyways. Unique and sleek. To me that means fibreglass. Smoothed to perfection with either body color paint or interior matching carpet. No square corners here. Mean. Hmm. The ability to play loud without fatigue. Quality. Crystal clear sound with no pesky noise or resonance. A corvette is a first class ride. It needs a first class audio system along with its first class performance. I just priced out a hooker exhaust system. With a bark like that, and a bite like its got, it needs some driver comfort. Here's my dilemma though. Where to mount both amps. Being an installer, I figure maybe you can help me with this one. 1984 Corvette. 2 amps. 1 sub. all needs to fit in the hatch. I have removed the rear storage compartment trim, leaving 2 large holes in my floor. One big enough for my sub box (all fibreglass sealed) The other one undetermined for use. 2 small amps. one 10" x 11", the other is 10" x 8". Where to mount them??? Hmmm..... Would you happen to have any pictures of amp racks put in the hatch of a corvette or a hatch of any kind for that matter? I know that I'm contradicting my deck power observations of my old dodge, but lets face it. It's a smooth and quiet car. At volume 4 on deck power I can hear my music just fine. At volume 25 in the vette with only door mounted 6.5" coaxials and a 50x2 amp I was still missing the absorbing feeling. I guess if it were summer I would remember these things. I hate parking it for winter. Thankfully I wrote down a list of things to change for next summer. One last question: Would you use the factory low door locations for woofer and tweeter, or what would you do?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I still need to take a ride up to see you Eatrice. One day I'll throw all my crap in my car and ride up there and you can tell me what to keep and what to pitch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anytime you want to come by Raid just let me know. I go to Brandon alot. Ever hear of Anti Venom in Valrico? I am dropping my car off there on the 1st.

Mudpile....I personally like to keep my mid and tweet as close together as possible. I do this to help prevent frequency seperation which helps imaging. Some people do not like this and like to have the tweeter up higher. My recommendation for that is to get your amps up and running. Your mid is going to have to go where it fits. SO mount that....then put your tweeters on long pieces of speaker wire connected to the amp ofcourse. Move the tweeters around. I use dbl sided tape or butyl rubber sometimes even hot glue. Move the tweeter to a few different spots and see what you like. Then figure out how to mount it in the spot you like. Two important things though. First use the same music over and over....something that you like and are familuar with. Second as tweeters get hot they start to roll off sooner, meaning they do not play as high. So inbetween tweeter positions let them cool for a little while. I would say ten to 15 minutes as long as you are only listening to one or two songs.
I do not have any pictures of C4 stuff I have done. But what I have done alot of is intergrated amp racks. I have used the entire hatch to make the amp rack. I make it as thin as possible and then make a top that is covered in matching carpet so from the outside it looks stock. You can use perforated steel over the sub and the amps to make a rock solid grills. I have done this many times. You will still have full use of your hatch with just a small loss of height. You can modify that and make the amp rack take up only part of the hatch also. I will dig up some pics of other cars that are simular. This is a link to the metal I am talking about. You can buy it from this place but I would look to see if a local metal supplier has it. http://www.selectproducts.com/frameindex.htm
I do not know if I posted this here but this is what the speakers look like in my doors. As for my hatch....just like you said. Slick smooth fiberglass that matches the curvy sexy interior of my C5

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet that 3 way setup sounds great! MB quart makes some amazing stuff. I like the aluminum mounting brackets. Nice and solid. When you get some pics of that sub box, post em up. If it's anything like the door install it should look pretty sharp. The best thing about the door is that it all fits in the factory location (or at least it appears to. Never seen under the door panel of a stock C5). The local welding shop has the metal you speak of. I may have to pick some up once I get my setup figured. Here's what I've come up with: passenger side storage compartment: Single sub (10 or 12 sealed). The two amps flush mounted into the floor at the back of the hatch. The driver's side storage compartment can be capped off or used as a bay for my distribution blocks etc. Then I can make a cover to hide it all from prying eyes. Here's an opinion question for ya. Tweeters: What material? Hard dome, soft dome? MB Quart uses titanium, but does that mean you like all titanium tweets, or do you just go by a listening test?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really like MB stuff but they tweeters are not my favorites. I have Focal Utopias in my dually and I like those better. A Focal 3 way set up was not available to me anywhere near the price I paid for the Quarts so I went with those. I can make the tweets sound better with my eq though. Either way I would just listen to a few and go with what you like. It is your car.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good plan man. Thanks a lot! I've got my system all sketched up, now all I need to do is execute the plan. A little firbeglass here, a little resin-treated MDF there, some metal mesh, a bit of factory matched carpet and a whole lot of elbow grease. Make a false floor and I'll be set. Keep it stealth protect your wealth. Once I'm done I'll nail up some pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sweet mudpile.....I started on my hatch the other day but had to stop since the car is not here for fitment. I am supposed to have it back by the 9th and will start again then. I will post some pics also. Good luck. Don't poke your eye out :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How are you coming on the hatch of your C5 Eatrice? Haven't heard anything in a while, so i thought I'd check up on the progress report. I'm still walking in circles on my vette. I wish I had big stock door locations like the C5 has. Instead I have to fabricate to make a 5.25" look stock. Car audio is a very picky thing. Especially in a Vette. An early C4 at that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts