Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my wiper bay ,I need to know what this tab is for and is the screen bubba:surprised or is it factory? What am I missing?

Red circle around tab:lookinup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
Looks like the coarse screening used to keep leafs and tools from falling into the fender well.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
screen looks bubba, mine was plastic and looked more solid :smack

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
very true but the originals in our 2 75's were metal porch screen type.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i think bubba pit it there so the cheetos he would eat while working on it wouldnt fall into the fender....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That looks factory stock. Flexible plastic screens on my 78. Held in place by two socket head screws into the firewall. Other side of the screen slides into something, (perhaps a support bracet that bolts to the tab). My tab is currently like yours, nothing in the hole, so I don't really know what its for.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Screen is factory item. not sure about the tab function though.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My brothers 1974 has a metal screen from the factory but the tab I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Keeps junk (including tools) from blowing down the fender sides and clogging up the kick panel doors.

I've got a 6" 3/8 extension down there on the passenger side of my 68.

:laughing:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Tab

Our 79 has the screen. And I think the tab is for an alarm button?
I'am more interested in the tabs than the screen. They are on both sides of the wiper well. My car is a 76 but the PO put 79 fenders on it and the tabs are part of the fenders and they have metal clips on them for sheet metal screws. Any suggestions what they are for? They look bad just being there and nothing attached to them. They appear to hold a panel or something but don't look like they would hold a alarm button being on passenger and driver sides.:cheers:Mark

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
I'm petty sure the tabs are the mounting bracket for the alarm sensors. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 78 has tabs like that, but the flat of the tab runs straight up and down? Both sides have a pretty heavy non-insulted wire(ground strap?) about 4-5 inches long with a heavy ring terminal on each end. One side hooks to the tab and the other end goes almost straight down and screws into the firewall, with a glob of seam sealer on top? It looks like it's suppose to be there?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I'am more interested in the tabs than the screen....Any suggestions what they are for?...
Check the AIM. The tabs may be mounting points for a steel cable which bolted to the frame. The cables were supposed to keep the front clip in place in the event of a collision.

I'm not sure what model year began to use them. Earlier cars do not have the cables.

:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts