Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My key is intermittently not being identified to start the car. I replaced the key already, so the next thing is the tumbler. Service manual is pretty cut and dry on the removal, my question is the VATS chip, did you get the tumbler from the dealer or from another source?
Is there a way to reprogram the system to recognize a new VATS chip if the resistance is different?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can get you an OEM lock. They are made by Strattec. Strattec makes the locks for GM. They have made OEM locks for the Big 3 for almost 100 years. It comes with what is called a slave key. It does not have a chip. You decode the chip from your key and simply make the new cuts on a blank that has your chip's value already installed. There is a limited number of values for the double sided VATS key.

And yes you can change the BCM to look for a different value.

BTW, I think this is my first post so if I didn't post correctly...

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Why would he have to go through you to get this? Why not direct him to how he can get it himself?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service manuall has the instructions to rekey the tumbler, I ordered the parts through an online vendor. We'll see what happens. Worse comes to worse I'll end up having the dealer do the work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you got a service kit instead of one that is already assembled. If u need help let me know. I do them everyday. If you want to send me a clear pic of your key I can decode it for you. Or you can read the code number off the original lock when you get it out. I can give you the numbers u need from that code number. If it doesnt work out I can get them for around 85.00 total. Make sure you crimp the four corners well. I have a jig that crimps them better than factory.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Sounds like you got a service kit instead of one that is already assembled. If u need help let me know. I do them everyday. If you want to send me a clear pic of your key I can decode it for you. Or you can read the code number off the original lock when you get it out. I can give you the numbers u need from that code number. If it doesnt work out I can get them for around 85.00 total. Make sure you crimp the four corners well. I have a jig that crimps them better than factory.
Why not post a DIY thread showing how all this is done. That would benefit folks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the parts and the time finally to dig into this. Its a pretty straight forward removal and disassemble but there is a retainer inside the lock that needs to be removed to access the tumblers into place. Its thin brass and mine cracked when I took it apart. The new parts didnt come with a new one, so its off to the dealer to see if they have something. Once I'm done I'll post a how to.

I should add I checked out the inside of the switch itself and it had a few burnt contacts, which could have added to my problems. Plenty of post out there on that topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts