Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on what to do, what to avoid? Glass people are about as crooked as a barrel of stealerships. So I am curious if they will try to replace things that don't need replacing.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
If it's an insurance replacement they will. They try to get the most out of insurance. I had a windshield replaced once... they said that all the moldings would have to be replace too because they wouldn't be able to remove them without damage. Well, they did remove them with no damage. They were only held on by small clips. They ended up soaking my insurance company for an extra $400.00 for new moldings. $800.00 total. (BTW, I could have bought the moldings from the dealer for around $100.00.) no wonder insurance rates are so high.:crazy:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Did take my 07 Z to dealer for windshield replacment ( car at the time
had only 700 miles ) $ 1100.oo they replaced window moulding also .
No scrathes on car .

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows if the dealerships will replace glass? If so I'd go with one you trust. I know trust and dealer is an oxymoron.

Since I'm in charge of the feet vehicles at work, it has been my experience they do a better job with no leaks if you bring the car to them. I have had nothing but problems when they replace it on site. Needless to say with 10 vehicles traveling 40k miles a year each, we have had our share of insurance claims for glass replacement.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Beware of the following, I am also assuming you are going to replace the front windshield on a 02-04 Z06 C5.

1. z06 is Special glass, that is lighter and has a special area to allow the HEADS-UP to work correctly.

2. Expensive.

3. When I got my windshield replaced I noticed scratches on my roof due to the guys leaving tools on my top. (that pissed me off... dealership had to repaint and buff them out).

4. DO NOT WASH your car for about 3 days after the windshield is replaced.

5. Check for broken glass throughout your car. Sometimes they are lazy and/or the glass breaks (maybe!) while they take it out. I think they are lazy and break it to remove it faster/easier.

6. I would go over the above points with whoever you decide to go with and be sure that they are aware of how you are going to review the work with them later.

BTW Be sure that your hud is clear and not fuzzy after replacement. This is a sign of copycat windshield and not original GM for z06 windshield.

Do you still have warranty? GMPP? I would go to the dealership for this, but many of them use a local glass company to do the work for them. If I had known this, I would have done it directly, if I was paying for it. My windshield was defective and replaced by warranty.

GOOD LUCK.

btw the defective was a back area on the HUD portion of the windshield that make it fuzzy, as if I needed glasses. (and I don't!!)

-zzBill. :D

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows if the dealerships will replace glass? If so I'd go with one you trust. I know trust and dealer is an oxymoron.

Since I'm in charge of the feet vehicles at work, it has been my experience they do a better job with no leaks if you bring the car to them. I have had nothing but problems when they replace it on site. Needless to say with 10 vehicles traveling 40k miles a year each, we have had our share of insurance claims for glass replacement.
The dealership I worked at used a mobile glass company. They'd just line up several cars and schedule them for a day, then bring in the truck. I'll bet most dealers work this way..

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Beware of the following, I am also assuming you are going to replace the front windshield on a 02-04 Z06 C5.

1. z06 is Special glass, that is lighter and has a special area to allow the HEADS-UP to work correctly.

2. Expensive.

3. When I got my windshield replaced I noticed scratches on my roof due to the guys leaving tools on my top. (that pissed me off... dealership had to repaint and buff them out).

4. DO NOT WASH your car for about 3 days after the windshield is replaced.

5. Check for broken glass throughout your car. Sometimes they are lazy and/or the glass breaks (maybe!) while they take it out. I think they are lazy and break it to remove it faster/easier.

6. I would go over the above points with whoever you decide to go with and be sure that they are aware of how you are going to review the work with them later.

BTW Be sure that your hud is clear and not fuzzy after replacement. This is a sign of copycat windshield and not original GM for z06 windshield.

Do you still have warranty? GMPP? I would go to the dealership for this, but many of them use a local glass company to do the work for them. If I had known this, I would have done it directly, if I was paying for it. My windshield was defective and replaced by warranty.

GOOD LUCK.

btw the defective was a back area on the HUD portion of the windshield that make it fuzzy, as if I needed glasses. (and I don't!!)

-zzBill. :D
I saw a program on windshield replacement by companies that don't do it right. If the right procedures aren't used, or the installer doesn't keep things clean ie.,wear rubber gloves to avoid oily films on the sealing surface, they can actually pop out in accidents. Yep, a windshield is a safety device too. (doesn't exactly give one warm fuzzys to have someone tamper with factory glass.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Since I'm in charge of the fleet vehicles at work, it has been my experience they do a better job with no leaks if you bring the car to them. I have had nothing but problems when they replace it on site. Needless to say with 10 vehicles traveling 40k miles a year each, we have had our share of insurance claims for glass replacement.
I too maintain fleet vehicles. I have never found a dealer who would install glass. I have been told point blank by service guys to call ANY mobile glass company and save min. $700. So that is what we now do.

I have a 01 C5 coupe. I considered the Z06 windshield. I was led to belive it offered 18 pounds of weight savings. Turns out it's barely over 2 pounds. So, no sense in going that route. Even if I had a Z06!

Some very good info, thank you guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts