Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed 4.10 gears. Car is C6 Z51 with the standard bolt ons and tune. I'm having bad traction problems off the line. I think the gears were a mistake.....however the car is fun to drive.....just hard to get off the line. It is cool to be able to brake the tires loose at 50 mph when someone is cruising beside me checking out the car:laughing:

·
Registered
316 Posts
4.10 gears

shorter top end?

ajmw

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
With 4.10s you are going to have to adjust the nut behind the wheel in order to get better traction and launches. You work on it, you'll get there:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Best single mod, done to my car, before the supercharger... Go for it!!!:partyon:
Jeremy

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
BAADC6 said:
I installed 4.10 gears. Car is C6 Z51 with the standard bolt ons and tune. I'm having bad traction problems off the line. I think the gears were a mistake.....however the car is fun to drive.....just hard to get off the line. It is cool to be able to brake the tires loose at 50 mph when someone is cruising beside me checking out the car:laughing:
I love doing that. :cool:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
When changing differential ratios do the math.

Multiply the ration of the gear by the ratio of the trannie; I will use my old 433" Camaro as an example - it had a Mucnie close ratio and 4:56 gears
2.20 x 4.56 = 10.03 and you know how this base line ran.

Now do the math with a 4:10 and the first gear ratio of your car and you will come up with something absurd like 5:30 gears which are useless in first and half useless in second . . . just something to think about.

If I knew the ration of first I could give you what the 'equivalent' ratio is with 3:42' and 4:10's - it will open your eyes for sure..

·
Registered
308 Posts
olddog said:

Multiply the ration of the gear by the ratio of the trannie; I will use my old 433" Camaro as an example - it had a Mucnie close ratio and 4:56 gears

Now do the math with a 4:10 and the first gear ratio of your car and you will come up with something absurd like 5:30 gears which are useless in first and half useless in second . . . just something to think about.

If I knew the ration of first I could give you what the 'equivalent' ratio is with 3:42' and 4:10's - it will open your eyes for sure..
The chart that I had was in table form and didn't submit the same way it looked when I pasted it. I will try to repost it later.

·
Registered
308 Posts
olddog said:

Here are the final drive and transmission ratios for all the 2006 C6's.

Transmission --- 6SP w/o Z51 & Z06 --- 6SP w/Z51 --- 6SP Auto
Application: ---- std --------------------- opt ------------ opt
Gear ratios :)1)
First: ------------- 2.66 ------------------- 2.97 ----------- 4.02
Second: ---------- 1.78 ------------------- 2.07 ----------- 2.36
Third: ------------ 1.30 ------------------- 1.43 ----------- 1.53
Fourth: ----------- 1.00 ------------------- 1.00 ----------- 1.15
Fifth: ------------- 0.74 ------------------- 0.71 ----------- 0.85
Sixth: ------------- 0.50 ------------------- 0.57 ----------- 0.67
Reverse: ---------- 2.90 ------------------- 3.28 ----------- 3.06
Final drive: -------- 3.42 ------------------- 3.42 ----------- 2.56

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Gonna maake me work a little huh? I will use only first gear and for the Z51 and the 6 speed auto.

Baseline is a Muncie with a 4:56 gear set. 2.20x4.56 = 10.0 overall gear ratio

Z51 with just three rears:

2.97x3,42= 10.1 or a 4:60 rear gear when compared to the Muncie
2.97x3.73= 11.07 or a 5:04 rear
2.97x4.10= 12.17 or a 5:54 gear

And you think first will be of any use with 4:10's or second with out DR's on them and personally, I think that the 4:10's will be a jole in the first two gears.

6sp auto

4.02x2,79 (I think that is the rear gear)= 11.2 or 5:06 rear
4.02x 3.15=12.66 or a 5:77 rear gear - Can you imagine a 3:42 gearset??

I think you get the picture now. You can do this for the 4 sp auto or the base 6 sp. The base car 'may' do OK

It is the equivalent of a 4:14 stock and a 4:52 with 3:73 gears . . .

Still want a 4:10 gear ratio?

L

·
Registered
315 Posts
As stated 4.10's are the BEST single mod I chose to do... they are not for everyone... However I sure do love 'um...:excited:
Jeremy

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've got 3.90s an MN12 and 515 RWHP

If I'm trying to do a quick sprint to 60 or 100mph, I launch the car in second gear. For me 1st gear is just a necessity to get the car rolling. At a 2500 rpm launch in 2nd, I get to 60 in about 3.5 secs (car also only weighs 3000lbs). For road racing the higher gears are awesome as I am always in the powerband. I guess it depends for what application you are using the gears. Many race teams will switch out rear ends for a particular track. For regular street driving I could see how 4.10s would be an absolute blast. Or for drag racing if you have huge DRs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've been mulling over 4:10s for mine. Changing from 3:42s to 4:10s on my T/A reminded me of the dramatic acceleration increase I got when adding headers to my Camaro back in 67.

Joel

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I truly hope it works out for you in every way. I have been in one C5 with an EDIT and headers with 4:10 gears and first is useless.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the 4:10s installed. I do love them on the street. I just have problems hooking up at the track......but I'm just doing this for fun.....not a serious racer. I definetly don't have the b....lls to try drag radials. I dont want to leave parts at the track if it hooks up. If I had seen you info before Olddog, I probably would have thought about 3:73s??? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr Big.....the 4:10s are ok with the supercharger?? I talked to someone about installing a Sc on my car and they said I would "waste" the tires.....I should put 3:42s back in. I should also mention it's the same guy that sold me the 4:10s:bang What size are you running on the rear?

·
Registered
115 Posts
sebrock said:
If I'm trying to do a quick sprint to 60 or 100mph, I launch the car in second gear. For me 1st gear is just a necessity to get the car rolling. At a 2500 rpm launch in 2nd, I get to 60 in about 3.5 secs (car also only weighs 3000lbs). For road racing the higher gears are awesome as I am always in the powerband. I guess it depends for what application you are using the gears. Many race teams will switch out rear ends for a particular track. For regular street driving I could see how 4.10s would be an absolute blast. Or for drag racing if you have huge DRs.
I do about 5 trackdays a year in my Mn6 Z51 and have been thinking about doing 3:73's or 3:90's as well. I could use a little more "punt" out of the corners.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
"More punt"

Do you have bolts ons and a tune? If not, that is why you have no punt. Try it first, cheaper overall and faster. Better MPG too.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I changed out the stock 3.42s to 3.73s. My main advisor/mechanic is drag oriented and he suggested 4.10s or at least 3.90s. Lou G suggested 3.73 and I believe he was correct.

Looking back, 3.90s may not have been too radical for street driving, but I am very pleased with the 3.73s. They added just enough additional acceleration so the difference is easily felt, but the driving characteristics of the car are almost unchanged. In a word, the car seems like it "woke up". More power/acceleration in every RPM range and 6th gear only revs 350 rpms higher than the 3.42s at 70mph.(1950 vs. 1600):thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts