Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone owned or has seen this 1972 around anywhere? It was my first Vette that I custom built nearly 40 years ago - just wondered if it was still alive somewhere?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Tarantula. Very cool.

I know you'll get a lot of bashing about some of the styling but I really like certain points. First time I've seen a TV like that in the dash.

I think you were a bit ahead of your time when you did that car.

What is the stick from the passenger floor board?

Good work.

Sorry I haven't seen it at any of the shows I've attended.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I belive the stick in the floor was for some kind of aftermaket overdrive. and I would have to say that car is spot on for the 70s back then thats what was in style.

I doubt it looks the same way now if its still out there

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Very cool! Of course its not today's style, but the craftsmanship and amount of custom work are evident and impressive.

Got any shots of your other work?

BTW, the girl is still hot. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Wow that Vette is really REALLY gold.:surprised

If it's still out there, I'm sure it looks quite a bit different now.:agree:

·
Registered
889 Posts
You should have used a bit more metal flake in that paint job.

j/k

I'm sure it was very cool in it's day and I do respect the amount of work that went into it.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I belive the stick in the floor was for some kind of aftermaket overdrive. and I would have to say that car is spot on for the 70s back then thats what was in style.

I doubt it looks the same way now if its still out there
Exactly right - that was a Hone-Overdrive unit from Motion Performance in New York - basically of a second transmission that I mounted behind the John McDowell Racing Automatic. After going through the 4:11 ratio gears, it would switch to a 2:87 ratio... so you had both the acceleration and top end speed.

This car had LOTS of extras which at the time as far as I know were unique back then. The Plexiglass inserts in the tops I had never seen done up until that time and they hinged on the center T-bar and would open and close hydraulically with the doors. I saw that done in the Cleopatra Jones movie a couple years later!

Engine was a 454-550HP custom built from the ground up by me with just about everything you could throw at it back then - Heavy-Duty EVERYTHING. I polished, CC'ed and Blueprinted everything. 13.75:1 compression ratio and the only thing sent out was the crank which was balanced by Chaparral Racing (here in town).

Pictures do not do the paint justice. Black basecoat, Black & Gold MetalFlake, 32 coats of Epoxy Enamel Clear - 32 lbs of paint!

Car was 1-foot longer than stock, 8" wider and lower. Hand-made front end and fender flares, 3-piece spoiler adapted from a Camaro, Additional sequential taillights added, even had dual louvers below the rear bumpers like the C5s came with later from the factory. Rear deck was Tigershark from Motion Performance as well as the raised hood. Front sequential turn signals were from a 1973 Grand Am. Also had large landing lights in front grill area. Rear bumpers had the vertical drops removed and were Gold plated as were various other metal parts in addition to 24-kt Gold leafing in areas.

All of the interior I stitched up using a Dinero Pattern Naugahide. Even had Quadraphonic Stereo - at the time a big deal, but short lived. Stewart Warner Stage III Gauges. The list goes on...

I do know that I sold this car to a car dealer in Lubbock and I heard they left it out on the lot the first night and that it got stripped clean of all the "gold" pieces? About 10 years later I got a call from someone in El PAso Texas who said he was the owner of the car and had tracked me down as the original owner and was asking what I had done to various things like the engine. He said it still ran like nothing he had ever driven and that the paint looked new - that was the last I ever heard?

Addendum... found some old Polaroids of the Overdrive unit and custom shortened/balanced driveshaft:

·
Registered
116 Posts
If your really want to find it and have a friend that is a cop, give him the VIN and have him run it. If it's been registered in the last ten years you will have a starting point.

·
DC Crew
9,475 Posts
Thats one wild looking Vette!! It would be cool if you could locate it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
you might be suprised, ive seen some stored up in barns and forgotton about that dont look to shabby, you may want to check into it, you might even have a chance to buy it back;)

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like it! would be nice if you buy it back! How did you do the spoiler?
Purchased a (3) piece fiberglass spoiler from a Camaro (center section was separate for the Camaro Trunk lid). Fiberglassed all 3 pieces together to make it a single piece then moulded it in to the Corvette panels with Fiberglass and Cabosil, then gel-coated, etc.

Some Polaroids form 1972 at various stages...

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
How U doin'?! I'd have to stamp that with the Junkman "Seal of Approval!" :thumbsup:

Damn dude, you were pimpin! One look at that car and I would have sworn you were black! :laughing: That's some serious 'getting your pimp on' work right there! Even though it has every bit of the 70's feel to it, I'd roll that puppy down the street today without changing anything (the damn TV wouldn't work anymore... damn). The customizations are very tasteful for the era and I would love to have that time machine in my stable exactly as it was.

Check you out with the matching jogging suit AND shoes! Damn, that's attention to detail PIMP! :laughing: And the helmet too! I'm impressed man, I'm impressed! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What the hell crawled up your ass and made you sell it??? :surprised

1 - 20 of 31 Posts