Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a C1/C2 down the road to work on with my brother-in-law.

All things being equal, is it better to buy a restored car, or can we save money by fixing up one ourselves?

I don't want a money pit!:(

·
Registered
525 Posts
IMHO, look for the absolute best car that you can afford and buy it!!

Unless you can do all of the work yourself, with the price of parts and labour these days you can't build/restore a C1/C2 today for what you can buy a restored one for.

The other thing to seriously consider, is do you really have the time and talent to perform a body off restoration?

:D :D

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
64vette said:
IMHO, look for the absolute best car that you can afford and buy it!!

Unless you can do all of the work yourself, with the price of parts and labour these days you can't build/restore a C1/C2 today for what you can buy a restored one for.

The other thing to seriously consider, is do you really have the time and talent to perform a body off restoration?

:D :D
Thank makes good sense. Go with a complete car then you can tinker. Any big restoration is going to become a money pit.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'd be scared to track the cost of a resto project, BUT it would be fun to do one!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the middle of the restoration of a 1960 fi vette. Has been off the road for 30 years. Will probably take a few more years to complete. Do not like the fact that I do not have a vette to drive for now, but will make up for that when the 60 is done. I have kept track of the investment so far and I am about at the $30,000 area. Probably another 20 grand to finish it, but when it is done, I will know exactly what I got! Would like to communicate with others who are going through a C1 restoration.

·
Liftin' the fronts
2,261 Posts
I did mine myself and probably have $30,000 Canadian into it. A 57 has to be worth 30 CDN. Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got two binders. One has all the pics from the restoration. The other has the receipts. They are both about the same thickness!! :( In the future I will get one 90% completed. Whenever I get the urge to do a total again I look thru the book of pics. I'm cured about 1/2 way thru. :laughing: No need to look in the receipt binder at all. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts